Moving a project in sheets to a workspace

New user here....I have created projects in the sheets folder. I have now realized that creating them in a workspace gets me the reports I need. Is there a way to move sheet files into a workspace? I have tried to drag the over and get a red circle. I have also tried to save as new, but do not see the workspace file to save under. Thanks

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You need admin access to the workspace to be able to create new items in or move existing items to a workspace.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• I am in the same situation but the instructions above are unclear. Initially I created a task sheet but now realize that I require the dashboard and reports. I have created a new workspace but I do not know how to move or get the contents of my original task sheet into the new workspace task sheet. I have tried exporting and importing with no success. When I import the tasks they do not replace the original task in the new workspace task tracker sheet.

What can I do?

• Hi @Andrew W.

Are you looking to move the entire sheet into a Workspace, or the content of the sheet (columns, rows) to another, already created sheet?

It sounds like you want to move the rows into another sheet, in which case you can either use Move Row or copy/paste in the same browser tab.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• I am looking to move an entire sheet into a Workspace. I was able to export the original task sheet but when I went to import the XLS file a new task sheet was created even though I had aligned the columns to be the same between the two task sheets.

• Hi @Andrew W.

Imports will always create new sheets (see: Import files to create new sheets).

If you want to move the sheet, you should be able to click-and-drag it into the correct workspace 🙂

Or, if you've set up a new sheet and want to populate the data, use the Move Row action (or copy/paste) instead.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• I have the two task sheets. One was auto created when I created the new workspace, the other when I tried to import the previous task sheet into the new task sheet. What I want to eventually do is have the dashboard linked to the new task sheet. Importing the existing task sheet into the new task sheet was not successful.

• You suggestion to move a row (not cut/paste) worked.. If I move the row the data is transferred from the original task sheet to the new task sheet. TY and I will remember this option.

• Sorry to bother you again but I did notice 1 irregularity. The Predecessor column in the new task sheet is only a text field. I am unable to set it to be a predecessor column (i.e.: to allow FS and lag time). I am new to Smartsheets so this is a learning opportunity.

• Hey @Andrew W.

Not a bother at all! I'm glad that the Move Row suggestion worked.

Is it possible there's already another column selected as your Predecessor column? Can you post what you're seeing in the Project Settings of the sheet? (Change to Gantt View, then right-click any column header).

• I created a new worksheet, deleted all example tasks in the task sheet and was successful in copying the task from the existing to new task sheet. The predecessors column is working as built. I am just checking the Gantt View now. The only challenge I have now is that nothing is displayed if open Gantt View.

• Hi @Andrew W.

If nothing is showing in your Gantt view, it sounds like perhaps the data was populated in different columns. For example, your Project Settings have "Start Date" as the date column with the start date. Is it possible you have another column titled "Start" instead? Can you post a screen capture of your sheet including column names, but block out sensitive data.