If/Or Formula

Hi there,

I need assistance on this formula: =IF(OR([ Company’s intellectual property Co-owned]@row = "No", [ Company’s intellectual property Co-owned]@row = "Unsure"), [First Name]@row + [Last Name]@row + " knows or believes that none of " + [Name of Company]@row + " is co-owned by another person or entity.", IF([ Company’s intellectual property Co-owned]@row = "Yes" + [By whom?]@row + " is the co-owner of the Company’s intellectual property. Note to reading attorney: If the contract for co-ownership was not provided by the client, ask for it directly.", ""))

Note: The first part of the logic " No" or " Unsure" are populating correctly into the column, but

" Yes" is not.

Output Information

If Company’s intellectual property Co-owned= No or Unsure, then show below:

[First Name] [Last Name] knows or believes that none of [Name of Company] is co-owned by another person or entity.

If Company’s intellectual property Co-owned = Yes, then show below:

[By whom?] is the co-owner of the Company’s intellectual property.  

Tags:

Best Answer

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Brittanyy

I spotted a couple of issues in trying to resolve the actual issue, as follows:

1. I don't think you should have spaces at the start of the Column Name. I tried to name a column with a space at the start and it didn't work for me.
    2. Where you join [First Name]@row + [Last Name]@row, unless you have it handled in the data, you probably want to put a space between them, like[First Name]@row + " " + [Last Name]@row
    3. The actual question you had!

See the part in bold

IF(OR([ Company’s intellectual property Co-owned]@row = "No", [ Company’s intellectual property Co-owned]@row = "Unsure"), [First Name]@row + [Last Name]@row + " knows or believes that none of " + [Name of Company]@row + " is co-owned by another person or entity.", IF([ Company’s intellectual property Co-owned]@row = "Yes" + [By whom?]@row + " is the co-owner of the Company’s intellectual property. Note to reading attorney: If the contract for co-ownership was not provided by the client, ask for it directly.", ""))

It should be "Yes", [By Whom?]@row

(comma not +)

Conclusion

Here is the full formula with the 3 changes I suggested, in color so it is easy to see

And as text to copy/paste

=IF(OR([Company’s intellectual property Co-owned]@row = "No", [Company’s intellectual property Co-owned]@row = "Unsure"), [First Name]@row + " " + [Last Name]@row + " knows or believes that none of " + [Name of Company]@row + " is co-owned by another person or entity.", IF([Company’s intellectual property Co-owned]@row = "Yes", [By Whom?]@row + " is the co-owner of the Company’s intellectual property. Note to reading attorney: If the contract for co-ownership was not provided by the client, ask for it directly.", ""))

And here is the output

Answers

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Brittanyy

I spotted a couple of issues in trying to resolve the actual issue, as follows:

1. I don't think you should have spaces at the start of the Column Name. I tried to name a column with a space at the start and it didn't work for me.
    2. Where you join [First Name]@row + [Last Name]@row, unless you have it handled in the data, you probably want to put a space between them, like[First Name]@row + " " + [Last Name]@row
    3. The actual question you had!

See the part in bold

IF(OR([ Company’s intellectual property Co-owned]@row = "No", [ Company’s intellectual property Co-owned]@row = "Unsure"), [First Name]@row + [Last Name]@row + " knows or believes that none of " + [Name of Company]@row + " is co-owned by another person or entity.", IF([ Company’s intellectual property Co-owned]@row = "Yes" + [By whom?]@row + " is the co-owner of the Company’s intellectual property. Note to reading attorney: If the contract for co-ownership was not provided by the client, ask for it directly.", ""))

It should be "Yes", [By Whom?]@row

(comma not +)

Conclusion

Here is the full formula with the 3 changes I suggested, in color so it is easy to see

And as text to copy/paste

=IF(OR([Company’s intellectual property Co-owned]@row = "No", [Company’s intellectual property Co-owned]@row = "Unsure"), [First Name]@row + " " + [Last Name]@row + " knows or believes that none of " + [Name of Company]@row + " is co-owned by another person or entity.", IF([Company’s intellectual property Co-owned]@row = "Yes", [By Whom?]@row + " is the co-owner of the Company’s intellectual property. Note to reading attorney: If the contract for co-ownership was not provided by the client, ask for it directly.", ""))

And here is the output

• Brittanyy
    Brittanyy ✭✭✭✭

@KPH This worked. Thank you so much for the thorough explanation.

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Great news @Brittanyy! Glad we got that sorted for you.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!