Checkboxes and populating data

Hi all, I have 3 different sheets set up.

Sheet 1 a list of names with assorted data for each name. There's a check box that will move rows to sheet 2 if checked.

Sheet 2 contains data that was moved from sheet 1.

There's a second check box column on both of these sheets, let's call it "active"

In Sheet 3, I have the same list of names that exist in sheet 1 and 2, what I want to do, is have a formala to look at the "active" column in sheet 1, if it's checked, and the name on the row on sheet 3 matches with a name on sheet 1, then return info from specific columsn, let's say Age and Address. If it doesn't find a match, then I want it to perform the same action for Sheet 2. In theory, the names should be on one of those 2 sheets, the "active" box may or may not be checked.

This is my formula that I cobbled together from a few answers I found:

=IF(INDEX({Active checkbox col-sheet 1}, MATCH(Name Cell-Sheet 3, {Name col-Sheet 1}, 0)) = 1, INDEX({Age-Sheet 1}, MATCH(Name cell-Sheet 3, {Name row-Sheet 1}, 0)), INDEX({Active checkbox col-Sheet 2}, MATCH(Name cell-Sheet 3, {Name col-Sheet 2}, 0) = 1, INDEX({Age col.-Sheet 2}, MATCH(Name, {Name Col-Sheet 2, 0))))

It's working fine for sheet 1, but it's saying no match for the checked "Active boxes" in Sheet 2.

I was thinking =if (this is true, then do this, if not then this(which is checking the other sheet)

Hopefully someone can help out.. I am hoping its just a syntax issue and I'm not asking for something that can't be done.

Tags:

Answers

• AravindGP
    AravindGP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @CeeJay

You're missing another IF for looking up the second sheet. What you currently have is to look up the active value in sheet 1 (your logical expression), based on it being true, you are looking for additional data from sheet 1. You've tried to add the second logical expression as a false statement, which is causing the error. Add another IF after "INDEX({Age-Sheet 1}, MATCH(Name cell-Sheet 3, {Name row-Sheet 1}, 0))", to specify your second logical expression (which is active value in sheet 2) followed by the true response, i.e., additional data from sheet 2.

Thanks,

Aravind GP| Principal Consultant

Atturra Data & Integration

M: +61493337445

E:Aravind.GP@atturra.com

W: www.atturra.com

• CeeJay
    CeeJay ✭✭

Thanks! This is my revised, but it's still returning no match.

=IF(INDEX({Active checkbox col-sheet 1}, MATCH(Name Cell-Sheet 3, {Name col-Sheet 1}, 0)), if(index({active checkbox col-Sheet2}, Match(Name cell-Sheet 3, {Name col-Sheet 2},0)) = 1, INDEX({Age-Sheet 1}, MATCH(Name cell-Sheet 3, {Name row-Sheet 1}, 0)), INDEX({Active checkbox col-Sheet 2}, MATCH(Name cell-Sheet 3, {Name col-Sheet 2}, 0) = 1, INDEX({Age col.-Sheet 2}, MATCH(Name, {Name Col-Sheet 2, 0))))

• CeeJay
    CeeJay ✭✭

Actually, updated it to this, but still #nomatch.

=IF(INDEX({Active Checkbox Col.-Sheet 1}, MATCH(Name Cell-Sheet 3, {Name Col.-Sheet 1}, 0)) = 1, INDEX({Age Col.-Sheet 1}, MATCH(Name Cell-Sheet 3, {Name Col.-Sheet 1}, 0)), IF(INDEX({Active Checkbox Col.-Sheet 2}, MATCH(Name Cell-Sheet 3, {Name Col-Sheet 2}, 0)) = 1, INDEX({Age Col-Sheet 2 }, MATCH(Name Cell-Sheet 3, {Name Col.-Sheet 2}, 0))))

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Try an IFERROR.

=IFERROR(index_match_sheet_1, index_match_sheet_2)

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!