Is there anyway to add a new row to an existing update request?

I've searched in the Community and it seems others have posed this same question in the past, however with no resolving answers.

It's getting time consuming to constantly add a new update request each time a new row is added to a project sheet, and it's a lot easier to have one update request to the person responsible instead of them getting reminders in dribs and drabs. Currently one can edit the columns and automation, but not add rows.

Is there a way to do this - and if not, is this a feature that could be added?

Ngā mihi

Best Answer

• Bek T
    Bek T ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi Lauren,

Thanks but this doesn't really assist with what I need it to, as some kaimahi prefer to update via a form, and others via the sheet (with the update request email triggering how/when they need to do so) - and dynamic view is just showing selected fields, but no ability to update (however it begs the question if I've set it up correctly, just did it on the fly due to time restrictions).

In saying all this though, I may have answered my own question as may be able to schedule a workflow to run with activities assigned against someone's name on selected dates (as opposed to having to highlight rows that have their name assigned) - this may circumvent the instance where someone is either given more work or has some delegated elsewhere.

Thanks for taking the time to answer, appreciate it :)

Answers

• Lauren Dominique
    Lauren Dominique Overachievers

I really love Dynamic View for this.

My team uses a Smartsheet to document and track progress against our annual goals and deliverables. Each team member can have anywhere from 1–5 goal/deliverables. We set up a Dynamic View from the sheet so each team member can quickly click a link to view only the goals/deliverables they’re responsible for (note: In order for this to work, you need a “Contact” column in the underlying sheet so Smartsheet can connect the current user to their action items).

You can set up Dynamic View so, in addition to editing existing records, the viewer can also add new rows, comments, or attachments.

I personally prefer DV or update requests, especially when one person is responsible for multiple line items in need of updates, and especially when they may need to submit new line items. You can then still use the Automation feature within the original sheet to send the all folks listed in the Contact column the link to the DV on a regular cadence so they are prompted to provide updates however frequently you want them to do so.

Hope this is helpful!

If this comment helped you, please help me and help others by using the buttons below if you found it 💡 Insightful or ❤️ Awesome!

• Bek T
    Bek T ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi Lauren,

Thanks but this doesn't really assist with what I need it to, as some kaimahi prefer to update via a form, and others via the sheet (with the update request email triggering how/when they need to do so) - and dynamic view is just showing selected fields, but no ability to update (however it begs the question if I've set it up correctly, just did it on the fly due to time restrictions).

In saying all this though, I may have answered my own question as may be able to schedule a workflow to run with activities assigned against someone's name on selected dates (as opposed to having to highlight rows that have their name assigned) - this may circumvent the instance where someone is either given more work or has some delegated elsewhere.

Thanks for taking the time to answer, appreciate it :)