Free user/collaborator feature

KarinL
KarinL ✭✭
edited 11/23/23 in Smartsheet Basics

We have been informed that the free user/collaborator feature is going away at the end of 2023 and that all users will need a paid license. Why, and does this decision affect all accounts globally (e.g. China, Japan)?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @KarinL

I hope you're well and safe!

Where did you hear this?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Erin Kim
    Erin Kim ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not seen this announced yet, but following this. Interested in knowing the details.

• Hi @KarinL

Can you clarify exactly what you are referring to?

It's true that on a Pro Plan your collaborators need to have a license, but on Business and Enterprise plans you can have free collaborators. Here's more information: Dashboard widgets and sharing in the Pro plan

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• KarinL
    KarinL ✭✭

@Genevieve P.

Hi Genevieve, on Thursday our IT department sent an announcement out stating "Starting January 1, 2024, Smartsheet is changing its license model. Most importantly, the ability to have “free collaborators” (those able to edit or view items in Smartsheet without a license) is going to disappear. This means that everyone who needs to do any type of viewing or editing of a Smartsheet will require a paid license." Is this inaccurate? Thanks in advance for any insight.

• Hey @KarinL

Smartsheet does not have any plans in the near future to change the Business or Enterprise plan collaboration model (allowing free collaborators to edit sheet content). This Sharing Permission Level chart identifies what actions are restricted to licensed users, but the ones without a * can be actioned by free collaborators.

I would suggest contacting your IT team to discuss the details of your contract, or work with your account team to clarify what collaboration feature may be changing if your contract is changing in January 2024. (For example, if your company is changing from a Business plan to a Pro plan).

Thank you!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• KarinL
    KarinL ✭✭

Thank you Genevieve. Our company has an Enterprise license which is under negotiations. Still can't fathom that everyone who uses Smartsheet in our organization would need a license to do anything (including editing or simply viewing sheets) in Smartsheet. I feel something is being misunderstood/miscommunicated on our side.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 11/17/23

Hi @KarinL

I hope you're well and safe!

My guess is that they are talking about the Smartsheet Advance package and connected users.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.