Editing User

We have a few recurring issues with User Management:

1. We are unable to edit user information (eg. user name, or email address). Is there a way of editing that information, and remove the old, wrong piece of information from the system?
  2. We have a new employee, named eg. Peter Stock. His company email address is Peters@company.com. We had an employee in the past, who does not work for the company anymore, and his account had been deleted from SmartSheet. His name was Peter Stewart, email address also peters@company.com. When we create a new account for the new hire, the system automatically generates the account with the old employee surname (Stewart). How can we overcome this issue and have a new correct account created for the new employee?

Thank you!

Best Answer

• Julie Fortney
    Julie Fortney Overachievers
    edited 11/15/23 Answer ✓

@Petra Stewart

A system admin should be able to edit users' information in the User Management module. I hope this helps!

1. To update an email address, find the user and click the pencil icon to open the Edit User menu. Go to the Alternate Emails section and add the new email address. You can then select that address as primary. (I'm trying to put a screenshot in here, but for some reason it won't let me at the moment!)
    2. You can update the surname in the General Info tab in this same menu.

Answers

• Julie Fortney
    Julie Fortney Overachievers
    edited 11/15/23 Answer ✓

@Petra Stewart

A system admin should be able to edit users' information in the User Management module. I hope this helps!

1. To update an email address, find the user and click the pencil icon to open the Edit User menu. Go to the Alternate Emails section and add the new email address. You can then select that address as primary. (I'm trying to put a screenshot in here, but for some reason it won't let me at the moment!)
    2. You can update the surname in the General Info tab in this same menu.

• Thank you Julie!

This helped - I did not realize you can not edit a user name until they accept the SmartSheet invite.

Have a great day,

Petra Stewart