Form Date Format different from Regional Setting

Vivien Chong
Vivien Chong ✭✭✭✭✭✭

HI I am finding the following issue in form date format.

My regional setting is set to DD/MM/YYYY

But when setting up the form, it is showing MM/DD/YYYY

How can I rectify this so it is a streamlined format?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hey @Vivien Chong

Apologies, I had different personal settings (Canadian) which is why mine show YYYY-MM-DD

• If the user logs in to see the form, the date will show as their Personal Settings
    • If the user is not being asked to log in, then the form should show the sheet owner's Personal date Setting

This means in your case, since you're not asking them to sign in, other users should also see DD/MM/YYYY since that's your setting.

The MM/DD/YYYY shown in Form Builder is purely just for the Builder display - there's no current way to display different date formats while setting up the form, it doesn't have the custom ability that a Live form has. Does that make sense?

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Hi @Vivien Chong

This date format only shows during the set-up process for the Default Value in a Form. Once you've decided on a default value, for the form submitter it actually appears as YYYY-MM-DD to be universal.

Please submit your feature request to the Product team by creating an Idea Post in the Smartsheet Product Feedback and Ideas topic here in the Community.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Vivien Chong
    Vivien Chong ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Genevieve P. thanks for your feedback.

I do not think the YYYY-MM-DD is universal in the form.

The following is my form setting that shows MM/DD/YYYY despite my personal setting of DD/MM/YYYY.

This is the form from the above form setting, for the form user it is showing DD/MM/YYYY as per my personal setting.

In this case, is the form setting just showing a default MM/DD/YYYY for everyone. While the actual form will follow the owner's date format setting?

• Hi @Vivien Chong

Do you have your form settings restricted so your users need to sign in to fill out the form? If this is the case, then the Form should respect each individual's Personal date format (in your case, DD/MM/YYYY).

• Vivien Chong
    Vivien Chong ✭✭✭✭✭✭

HI @Genevieve P. I just checked my form setting and I am not restricting users to sign in before accessing the form.

I open the form link in private browser, it is showing DD/MM/YYYY, which is what I need.

But it is not the universal YYYY-MM-DD.

Trying to understand how it works.

Does my computer setting cause the date to show up as DD/MM/YYYY?

The MM/DD/YYYY shown in form setting is just default setting?

Actual form user will see the date format as per my Smartsheet setting or their personal computer setting?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hey @Vivien Chong

Apologies, I had different personal settings (Canadian) which is why mine show YYYY-MM-DD

• If the user logs in to see the form, the date will show as their Personal Settings
    • If the user is not being asked to log in, then the form should show the sheet owner's Personal date Setting

This means in your case, since you're not asking them to sign in, other users should also see DD/MM/YYYY since that's your setting.

The MM/DD/YYYY shown in Form Builder is purely just for the Builder display - there's no current way to display different date formats while setting up the form, it doesn't have the custom ability that a Live form has. Does that make sense?

• Vivien Chong
    Vivien Chong ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Genevieve P. thanks for the explanation.