Is there a way to reference a row offset from @row in a column formula?

I'm setting a date range, and the end date will be the day before the next row's start date. I'd prefer to do it with a column formula, but there doesn't seem to be a way to get to "@[row+1]". Am I missing something? I frequently have applications where I'm referencing either the row before or the row after, and using column formulas would be preferable to remembering to fill down.

Best Answer

• Carson Penticuff
    Carson Penticuff ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

The short answer is that, no, you cannot reference rows relative to the current row in a column formula. You can get around this by adding a helper column that matches the row number. You can also use information in an already present column in some situations, for example... when working with dates, you can sometimes refer the latest date prior to the current row to reference the previous row. In my opinion, this is a weak point of Smartsheet, but usually there is a workaround.

If you have a specific sheet that is giving you trouble, feel free to post a screenshot.

Answers

• Carson Penticuff
    Carson Penticuff ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

The short answer is that, no, you cannot reference rows relative to the current row in a column formula. You can get around this by adding a helper column that matches the row number. You can also use information in an already present column in some situations, for example... when working with dates, you can sometimes refer the latest date prior to the current row to reference the previous row. In my opinion, this is a weak point of Smartsheet, but usually there is a workaround.

If you have a specific sheet that is giving you trouble, feel free to post a screenshot.

• Thanks. That's what I figured and already completed what I was working on without a column formula. Since I do this fairly often, I wanted to know, if there was a way, and to otherwise provide more visibility on the lack. I think @nextrow and @prevrow would suffice most of the time, but I certainly wouldn't complain if @[row+x] (with positive or negative x supported) being an option. :)

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!