Multiple Approvals Based on Selection in Multi-Select Field

I created a request intake form and I have a question in my form that allows for multiple selections and depending upon each selection, new logic adds fields to the form. With each request type selected, I need an approval. I have created approval workflows for each type which will be sent out individually and request approval. However, I am only able to provide my approval on the first type that I approve. After that the request no longer allows me to provide an approval but just save the request. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hey @UrbanLawrence

Are you using the same Approval column for all your different requests?

You'll want to set up individual columns to record the different types of approval. That way it won't be registered as "Approved" for that row, since the associated column is set to "Submitted". Otherwise, the "Approve" in a single column will assume it's an Approve for all workflows - does that make sense?

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hey @UrbanLawrence

Are you using the same Approval column for all your different requests?

You'll want to set up individual columns to record the different types of approval. That way it won't be registered as "Approved" for that row, since the associated column is set to "Submitted". Otherwise, the "Approve" in a single column will assume it's an Approve for all workflows - does that make sense?

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Everything was defaulting to one singular column titled "Employee Name" Approval. I created a separate column for each approval needed but what do I need do to in regards to the automation now? I was hoping to trigger the automation based upon selection but the automation trigger is grayed out to "changes" and wont let me select when one of the request types is actually checked in the form by the user.

• Actually I think I figured it out. Thanks for the help!!