Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Forumal to reset the Check Box

Has anyone used a formula to uncheck a check box?   I am trying to set up a formula to check to see what day of the month it is and so far I have most of it working I am just stuck on the check box portion as my conditional formatting looks to see if the Done box is checked as well as it is past the 1st of the month. 

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Rob,

I am not sure we have enough context to help you out... 

Are you using a formula to check the box? If so, please share it with us so that we can modify it for the uncheck. If a checkbox is manually checked then there is no integrated way to use a formula to uncheck it. You have to control the checkbox column completely by the formula if you want the formula to uncheck as well. 

What are your conditions for having it checked? 

• =IF([Day of:]1 = 1, "Code to Uncheck [Done]1", "   ")

Simply put we are using this sheet to track monthly tasks that are repeated every month right now our conditional formatting marks that row green if the Done box is checked.  I have a field that has =DAY([Due Date]1) to check to see if the current date is the first of the month to reset the projects (want to change it to the 28th to allow it all to be fresh on the first.  but I am stuck at automatically reseting the done field.  

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the information you provided, and your needs. I don't think you can accomplish this with Smartsheet functionality. If you want a checkbox to be unmarked automatically, you have to assume it is going to be marked automatically as well. You can't do both manual checking and formulas to check off the same checkbox. 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

To follow on what Mike said, if you are setting a checkboox manually, then you can't unset it automatically (and vice versa).

You need to check your work flow and create a formula that is used for both setting and unsetting.

Alternatively or additionally, you can use an automation tool like Zapier (www.zapier.com) or the API to set the state of the checkbox.

I hope this helps.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.