How can I fill in a field with a name if my Location column is a specific city?

Options

I am attempting to autofill data into a field (person's name/contact) if the city is the one they administer. I am receiving an incorrect arguement statement error. Here is what I have so far.

=IF(CONTAINS("Milwaukee", Location@row, "Michelle"), IF(CONTAINS("Appleton", Location@row, "Stephanie"), IF(CONTAINS("Madison", Location@row, "Tammy"))))

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best Answer

• NickStaffordPM
    NickStaffordPM ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

An IF statement has three conditions, Expression, Value if True and Value if False.

Currently, you just have IF(CONTAINS stacked without resolving any of them, which is giving you the error.

I would recommend something more in line with the following:

IF(Location@row = "Milwaukee", "Michelle", If(Location@row = "Appleton", "Stephanie", If(Location@row = "Madison", "Tammy", "ERROR"))) essentially this formula is going to another IF statement if the preceeding IF statement was not true.

The "ERROR" will return if a value other than Milwaukee, Appleton, or Madison is selected. So make sure all locations have a name assigned.

@ me know if this doesnt help!

Thanks!

Nick Stafford

Answers

• NickStaffordPM
    NickStaffordPM ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

An IF statement has three conditions, Expression, Value if True and Value if False.

Currently, you just have IF(CONTAINS stacked without resolving any of them, which is giving you the error.

I would recommend something more in line with the following:

IF(Location@row = "Milwaukee", "Michelle", If(Location@row = "Appleton", "Stephanie", If(Location@row = "Madison", "Tammy", "ERROR"))) essentially this formula is going to another IF statement if the preceeding IF statement was not true.

The "ERROR" will return if a value other than Milwaukee, Appleton, or Madison is selected. So make sure all locations have a name assigned.

@ me know if this doesnt help!

Thanks!

Nick Stafford

• JessicaD
    JessicaD ✭✭✭
    Options

@NickStaffordPM Thank you!! That worked perfectly!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!