How can I fill in a field with a name if my Location column is a specific city?

I am attempting to autofill data into a field (person's name/contact) if the city is the one they administer. I am receiving an incorrect arguement statement error. Here is what I have so far.

=IF(CONTAINS("Milwaukee", Location@row, "Michelle"), IF(CONTAINS("Appleton", Location@row, "Stephanie"), IF(CONTAINS("Madison", Location@row, "Tammy"))))

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best Answer

• NickStaffordPM
    NickStaffordPM ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

An IF statement has three conditions, Expression, Value if True and Value if False.

Currently, you just have IF(CONTAINS stacked without resolving any of them, which is giving you the error.

I would recommend something more in line with the following:

IF(Location@row = "Milwaukee", "Michelle", If(Location@row = "Appleton", "Stephanie", If(Location@row = "Madison", "Tammy", "ERROR"))) essentially this formula is going to another IF statement if the preceeding IF statement was not true.

The "ERROR" will return if a value other than Milwaukee, Appleton, or Madison is selected. So make sure all locations have a name assigned.

@ me know if this doesnt help!

Answers

• NickStaffordPM
    NickStaffordPM ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

An IF statement has three conditions, Expression, Value if True and Value if False.

Currently, you just have IF(CONTAINS stacked without resolving any of them, which is giving you the error.

I would recommend something more in line with the following:

IF(Location@row = "Milwaukee", "Michelle", If(Location@row = "Appleton", "Stephanie", If(Location@row = "Madison", "Tammy", "ERROR"))) essentially this formula is going to another IF statement if the preceeding IF statement was not true.

The "ERROR" will return if a value other than Milwaukee, Appleton, or Madison is selected. So make sure all locations have a name assigned.

@ me know if this doesnt help!

• JessicaD
    JessicaD ✭✭✭

@NickStaffordPM Thank you!! That worked perfectly!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!