Update sheet summary field via a report

Options
AmandaB23
AmandaB23 ✭✭✭
edited 11/28/23 in Smartsheet Basics

I am using row reports and sheet summary reports.

When I create a row report , I can edit fields in the report and it updates back into the plan /sheet itself.

This makes it easy for me to meet with a team member and review only their tasks across my plans and update % complete etc.

Similarly, I'd like to be able to pull all of my sheet summaries for easy way to go across projects/sheets and update a field I have on my sheet summary for "this weeks notes" to share client facing

Currently it seems sheet summary reports can't be edited or update back to the sheet summary from the report?

The alternative is opening every sheet and adding comments to the field weekly which is what I'm trying to find better solution for.

Appreciate any help

Answers

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @AmandaB23

I get this feedback a lot from end users. The easiest solution is to create a Dynamic Scope Report and filter it by the 1 row that you need to update. It's not as pretty as a Sheet Summary Report but it gets the job done.

I also created another solution where the Project Plan is horizontal and contains only key data from the intake sheet. Then, with a series of Summary Rollups, the Projects are actually managed at the Rollup level. Reports are generated using mostly columns that are added to the Summary Rollups and don't reside at the Project Level. A big benefit to this approach is still getting Project Level Dashboards. The use case here is very specific so let me know if you want more information.

Matt

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner