Reference another sheet with conditional IF formula

I want to pull in the actual data from Smartsheet file B from column B if column A contains text "yes". I want to pull the Column B data into Smartsheet file A. If attempted various IF formulas but not working. All I can do is simply link sheets but that data may change and incorrectly new data from Smartsheet file B.

Answers

• NickStaffordPM
    NickStaffordPM ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 11/29/23

Maybe try something like this?

IF(Column A = "Yes", VLOOKUP(Look Up Value That Can Determine Which Row To Look for on Smartsheet File B, Smartsheet File B, Column Number of Data You Are Looking To Pull In, FALSE), "")

This will look for Yes, pull in data from Smartsheet B based on the Lookup Criteria noted. If Column A is blank or No, it will return a blank or "".

@ me is I did not understand correctly! Hope this helps.

• afarias
    afarias ✭✭✭

@NickStaffordPM Thank you for the response. I attempted the following formula: =IF(User = "Alts Risk", VLOOKUP(Alts Risk, Release Notes, Headline, FALSE), "")

In Smartsheet B:

1. User = the field from the file I want to reference. So if "User" column has "Alts Risk" Then I would like to pull data from...
    2. The Headline column

Its giving me an unparseable maybe because I have two rows with the same "Alts Risk" identifier. But I think I'll have to provide some screenshots to provide clarity. Thank you!

• NickStaffordPM
    NickStaffordPM ✭✭✭✭✭✭

So this is the description of what that error mean

#UNPARSEABLE

Cause

The formula has a problem which prevents it from being parsed and interpreted. This can happen for many reasons, such as misspelling, incomplete operators, using the wrong case for a column name, or using single quotes instead of double quotes.

Resolution

Ensure that all column names are spelled correctly in cell references, operators are being used correctly, and any text strings in the formula are surrounded by double quotes (" ").

Providing some screenshots would definitely help me understand better, but sounds like a formula issue potentially. Could you ensure you provide a screenshot of that formula as well?

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!