Populating the Parent Row from Another Sheet

I have a spreadsheet that contains all of the inventory information for a lot of products. These products are broken down into categories. For example, shoes (a parent row) would have the child rows of sneakers, heels, slippers. I am receiving orders from products onto another spreadsheet via a form. From the form, I am provided with the specific item someone has ordered (for example, heels) and I need to populate the parent row (shoes) into another column.

I have been able to use the match function to pull the row number that the item is on, but I can't seem to figure out how to pull in the parent row information...

Tags:

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @thackert

I hope you're well and safe!

Parent doesn't work with cross-sheet formulas, so you have to add a so-called helper sheet that references the parent on each row, and then you can collect the information.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!