I want to report the values of mixed data types in a single column

Options

I have many many sheets where column names are the same but data types are different (ex: some "Assigned to" columns are text/numbers and some are contact list, some "Project Name" columns are text/numbers, and some are dropdown list.) The choices in value type are driven by the many teams specific needs.

This creates multiple columns of the same name when configuring reports. How can I display the data VALUES in a single column in my report regardless of data type? (ex" a single "Assigned to" column will display as a text name or a @<contact_name>, a single "Project Name" column will display as the value enterer or selected by the user.

It is the value that is important in my reports, not the data type. :-)

Best Answer

• FrankM
    FrankM ✭✭✭
    edited 11/30/23 Answer ✓
    Options

@Box2105 It does not look like this is possible due to the different column types. However, I believe I have found a workaround.

Create a third sheet and create two text columns named "Assigned To" and "Project Name". On the first row, right click "Link from cell in other sheet", search for the sheet with the drop down "Assigned To" column and select every cell in the column you want to link over. Repeat the same steps to convert the "Project Name" drop downs. Once you do this, Smartsheet will convert the drop downs to text. Instead of linking the sheet with drop downs to your report, now link the new report and they will combine correctly.

Hope this helps.

Frank

Answers

• FrankM
    FrankM ✭✭✭
    edited 11/30/23 Answer ✓
    Options

@Box2105 It does not look like this is possible due to the different column types. However, I believe I have found a workaround.

Create a third sheet and create two text columns named "Assigned To" and "Project Name". On the first row, right click "Link from cell in other sheet", search for the sheet with the drop down "Assigned To" column and select every cell in the column you want to link over. Repeat the same steps to convert the "Project Name" drop downs. Once you do this, Smartsheet will convert the drop downs to text. Instead of linking the sheet with drop downs to your report, now link the new report and they will combine correctly.

Hope this helps.

Frank

• Box2105
    Box2105 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you, I think that will work