Copying from Excel that has hidden columns

Hello Community,

I'm facing an issue when copying from an Excel document with hidden columns to a sheet that has the exact same columns, but none are hidden. When I use Command C in Excel and Command V in the sheet, it only pastes the Excel's visible columns.

Users have to transfer specific rows from excel documents into an existing sheet without importing.

Any suggestions on how to paste all columns, including the hidden ones?

Thanks!

Nancy

Answers

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @alwayslearning

Unfortunately you need to unhide those columns. I've heard of a similar issue (not Smartsheet related) being solved by using "Views" in Excel where one view was all the columns and another view had some hidden columns but I can't remember the all the details.

Have you looked at DataShuttle? I'm not one to push products but it's a good option here. If the column headers are always the same on the Excel file, you map the columns to a Sheet and then you set it up to drop the Excel file into OneDrive or as an attachment to a sheet and it automatically updates the sheet with the new information.

I hope that helps.

Matt

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• alwayslearning
    alwayslearning ✭✭✭✭

@Matt Johnson Thank you for responding; your time is appreciated. As a nonprofit with a restricted tech budget, we can't add more applications, and unfortunately, unhiding the columns won't be a viable solution in this case. I'm uncertain if this issue is widespread among users, but perhaps Smartsheet will address it. Thanks again! Wishing you Happy Holidays!