Automatic Parent by Child Status

Options

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a formula in my status column so that the parent line will automatically update based on what the child/children are. Here's the current formula I have that's not quite working:

=IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), "Not Started") = COUNT(CHILDREN()), "Not Started", IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), "Achieved") = COUNT(CHILDREN()), "Achieved", IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), OR(@cell = "Passing", @cell = "Passing")) = COUNT(CHILDREN()), "In Progress", "In Progress")))

Here are the scenarios and outputs I need:

If all children are "not started", parent = "not started"

If any child is "in progress", parent = "in progress"

If all children are "passing" or "achieved", parent = "passing"

If all children are "achieved", parent = "achieved"

Best Answer

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

If the issue is with the part that evaluates if all children are "passing" or "achieved", parent = "passing"

How about this:

=IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), "Not Started") = COUNT(CHILDREN()), "Not Started", IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), "Achieved") = COUNT(CHILDREN()), "Achieved", IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), OR(@cell = "Passing", @cell = "Achieved")) = COUNT(CHILDREN()), "Passing", "In Progress")))

I have highlighted the changes in bold

Answers

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is it just this part that is not working for you?

If all children are "passing" or "achieved", parent = "passing"

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

If the issue is with the part that evaluates if all children are "passing" or "achieved", parent = "passing"

How about this:

=IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), "Not Started") = COUNT(CHILDREN()), "Not Started", IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), "Achieved") = COUNT(CHILDREN()), "Achieved", IF(COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), OR(@cell = "Passing", @cell = "Achieved")) = COUNT(CHILDREN()), "Passing", "In Progress")))

I have highlighted the changes in bold

• Bvinston
    Options

That seemed to work @KPH Thank you!

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Glad to help! The formula was good. I think you just lost the will to change the values 😀

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!