One Sheet, One Master Sheet Copying & Updating

BELHamaida
BELHamaida ✭✭✭
edited 11/30/23 in Formulas and Functions

Hello,

I've been trying to work on a way to have one sheet pull into a master sheet that is being used to input data that relates to the one sheet. The reason for having that one sheet is to simplify the sheet as the master sheet has over 10 columns and that can be annoying to look at when filling out.

I've tried the 'Copy Rows' automation which works (?) but it doesn't apply to the proper rows (it goes all the way down to the bottom of the sheet) and updating the rows on the sheet will just create a new row on the master sheet.

Is there a way I can get the rows on the sheet to copy over to the master sheet and update anytime it's updated?

Thanks!

Best Answer

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @BELHamaida

I'm with Paul, I think your answer is in a row report. Forget about VLOOKUP and stay focused on INDEX MATCH if you go the formula route.

INDEX MATCH on the Master Sheet would pull from Sheet 1. It would not be editable on the Master Sheet and if that's the intention then that should work.

If you are looking for a bi-directional connection then create a Report and have the source sheet be the Master Sheet. You can choose which columns you want and filter out whichever rows you don't need. Any new rows would need to be added to the Master Sheet and would then appear on Sheet 1.

I hope that helps.

Matt

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Have you looked into a row report?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• BELHamaida
    BELHamaida ✭✭✭

I have looked into reports, but as far as I can see, I wasn't able to edit any rows in the report.

Just for some more background, the information inputted on Sheet 1 will feed into a master sheet which will then get additional columns filled out corresponding with the information transferred over from Sheet 1. I'm looking into VLOOKUP and INDEX MATCH right now but no luck so far.

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @BELHamaida

I'm with Paul, I think your answer is in a row report. Forget about VLOOKUP and stay focused on INDEX MATCH if you go the formula route.

INDEX MATCH on the Master Sheet would pull from Sheet 1. It would not be editable on the Master Sheet and if that's the intention then that should work.

If you are looking for a bi-directional connection then create a Report and have the source sheet be the Master Sheet. You can choose which columns you want and filter out whichever rows you don't need. Any new rows would need to be added to the Master Sheet and would then appear on Sheet 1.

I hope that helps.

Matt

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• BELHamaida
    BELHamaida ✭✭✭

I believe I'm having issues with linking the sheets together using INDEX MATCH.

I've set up a helper column that has automatic numbering to pull the entire row onto the shipment tracker but I can't seem to get it working. I believe I may just not understand INDEX MATCH very well.

• BELHamaida
    BELHamaida ✭✭✭

Nevermind! Had a coffee and it all clicked. I figured it out with references with INDEX MATCH.

Thank you all for your help!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!