Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Group Columns in Grid

2»

Comments

• Here's the specific functionality I would like:

• The addition of a "Column Filters" dropdown next to the "Filters" dropdown
    • The ability to create a filter names
    • Buttons next to each column name for Visible, Off, and View-only, where the cell is greyed slightly and non-editable
    • Drag and drop re-ordering of filter names in the list (this would be nice for row filters also)

I don't necessarily think a parent-child structure for columns would be necessary as summary columns would be easy to create and allow for more flexibility for summary formulas.

Thank you,

Mike

• RobH
    RobH ✭✭✭✭

The ability to group columns so that Hide/Unhide could be applied by group and groups could be expanded and collapsed as needed would be helpful.

• jessica@phoenix
    jessica@phoenix ✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/01/23

It would be great to be able to group columns... for various reasons.

One major one for me would be for hiding & unhiding info.

Similar to the way you can click the filter button once to filter versus unfiltered, it would be nice to be able to "Hide Column Group" or "Unhide Column Group"... this is something that would come in handy for quick data entry on sheets that are used by multiple people but controlled & kept clean by one or two individuals.

• NickStaffordPM
    NickStaffordPM ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/04/23

This would really us out in our business as well, good suggestion!

If you found this comment useful, please let me know by clicking one of the buttons below: Awesome, Insightful, Upvote, or Accepted Answer. Your feedback will assist others looking for the same information and also help me out.

Thanks!

Nick Stafford

• Definitely agree with this -- functionality I use in Sheets/Excel regularly that would be helpful for larger Smartsheets.

• Nick Wilson
    Nick Wilson ✭✭✭

I would love to see this smartsheets. Would make it much easier to navigate and work on large sheets.

• It would be great if we could group columns together in the same way we can with rows. This would allow us to hide and unhide column selections rather than "Unhide all columns" only. It would also be easier to edit a grid view sheet with new sectinos of information.

• Stephanie Graham
    Stephanie Graham ✭✭✭✭

This would help us immensely. We track 4 different types of HR information in a grid that tie together but sometimes we are only working on one facet. If we could collapse the other information, it would be more efficient and stop us from moving columns all the time and hoping we move them back into their original place. Reports are fine, but we can't add lines as needed on those reports.

• I know others have asked about this but I wanted to share a vote or request for the ability to group columns.

This would help massively in a part of our projects when we are deimplementing suppliers, from our clients countries. These are often in waves and Ideally we want these in one sheet vs multiple sheets based on waves.

• Ida Skou
    Ida Skou ✭✭✭

It would be great to be able to group columns, or indent children-columns to a parent-column like you can indent rows.

• beckyb
    beckyb ✭✭

I have a wide dataset from a form that then gets routed to more specific pages. I would love to be able to group columns so each person can easily show/hide the responses that aren't relevant to them.

• This feature is way overdue. By not having any way to view wider sheets efficiently, by some way of Grouping and hiding or collapsing multiple columns at once, Smartsheet is essentially saying we don't expect our product to be used for anything that has more columns than you can fit on one screen.

If the cell linking feature worked better, or had more options on how it worked, you could create some workarounds to get around this limitation. However because the linked cell references are always absolute with no way to control if they are or aren't, doing it this way isn't practical.

• Laura Payne
    Laura Payne ✭✭✭

Smarsheet Team,

I see this note under my original post: "We agree this would be a great improvement organizing and navigating large, complex sheets. This is definitely on our mind and something we are exploring for the future. Please up vote and add example use cases or details as you have them."

In what format can we submit these AND what information do you all need specifically?

I can think of several examples, but some of the best are not sheets that I own; does that matter?

My preference would be to send a screen recording so I can show you in real time how cumbersome left-to-right scrolling is in these sheets.

Thank you!

• Sylvia Kay
    Sylvia Kay ✭✭✭✭✭

As a user I would like to organize my sheet by grouping columns into collapsible sections, so that I do not have to scroll through the entire width of 400 columns.

The Hiding option is not idea as you cannot unhide sections separately, but only all hidden columns.

SYLVIA KAY | DIRECTOR PROJECT MANAGEMENT

PLATFORM ENGINEERING & TECHNOLOGY TEAM

AMERICAN EXPRESS GLOBAL BUSINESS TRAVEL

M: 404-664- 1025 | SYLVIA.KAY@AMEXGBT.COM

AMEXGLOBALBUSINESSTRAVEL.COM

follow us on twitter: @AmexGBT

follow us on instagram: @AmexGBT