Can you make a workflow that has a

Jamie Pittman
Jamie Pittman ✭✭
edited 12/08/23 in Smartsheet Basics

I hope I can explain this well enough it makes sense!

We are trying to verify a temperature reading with a probe that sits in a tank of water with another thermal temperature reading to ensure our probe in the bath is reading correctly. What we need is for our 1 temperature reading to be within 5 degrees of the other. Is it possible to make a workflow like that? Or can you only create a range of numbers for that temperature to fall into. We found this to be an issue because if the tank of water isn't heated up into the spec range we will get an out of spec condition, when in reality we just need the 2 temperature readings to be with 5 degrees of each other.

Thanks,

Jamie

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You will need a series of helper columns (one for each set of temps).

You would use a formula to output the text "Red", "Yellow", or "Green" based on the variance and then use conditional formatting based on these helper columns.

=IF(ABS([Stage 1 PC Temp]@row - [Stage 1 Actual Temp]@row)> 5, "Red", IF(ABS([Stage 1 PC Temp]@row - [Stage 1 Actual Temp]@row)> 2.5, "Yellow", "Green"))

The above would flag red for any variance greater than 5 degrees in either direction, yellow for any variance between 2 1/2 and 5 degrees in either direction, and green for any variance less than 2 1/2 degrees in either direction.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Are you able to provide some screenshots for context?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Jamie Pittman

I hope you're well and safe!

How are the temperatures stored? Multiple columns or rows?

Can you share some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• @Andrée Starå @Paul Newcome

The goal for this smart sheet is to verify the PC temp and the Actual temp are within 5 degrees of each other. Is that possible with smartsheet? Our current format for this smart sheet just has a range of temperatures for each stage.

This is some of our conditional formatting. Are there any other screenshots you'd like?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question, I really appreciate it!

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You will need a series of helper columns (one for each set of temps).

You would use a formula to output the text "Red", "Yellow", or "Green" based on the variance and then use conditional formatting based on these helper columns.

=IF(ABS([Stage 1 PC Temp]@row - [Stage 1 Actual Temp]@row)> 5, "Red", IF(ABS([Stage 1 PC Temp]@row - [Stage 1 Actual Temp]@row)> 2.5, "Yellow", "Green"))

The above would flag red for any variance greater than 5 degrees in either direction, yellow for any variance between 2 1/2 and 5 degrees in either direction, and green for any variance less than 2 1/2 degrees in either direction.

10xViz.com

• Jamie Pittman
    Jamie Pittman ✭✭
    edited 12/12/23

Thank you for the help! Hope you have a great Christmas! @Paul Newcome

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help. 👍️

10xViz.com