Changes to asset Admin permissions and new Plan Asset Admin role, now generally available!

Options

Answers

• Samuel Mueller
    Samuel Mueller Overachievers
    Options

This is true today in the current form. Any Workspace Admin can delete items in the workspace.

• Julie Becker
    Julie Becker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Samuel Mueller yup, this is why those Admin rights that are currently in use is already an issue. Adding MORE rights to that user type (Asset Admins) with now owner rights, will cause more damage than good. This new feature might help others, but i see it being more work and stress on those that oversee/manage the program than beneficial (at least for me/our company).

Julie Becker ☠️

Construction Project Engineer / Coordinator & Software Program Oversight Mgr. 😉

Successful People Are Not Gifted; They Just Work Hard, Then Succeed On Purpose‼️

• Julie Becker
    Julie Becker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

which defeats the purpose of going through EAP then lol

Julie Becker ☠️

Successful People Are Not Gifted; They Just Work Hard, Then Succeed On Purpose‼️

• Julie Becker
    Julie Becker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

All the more reason, we / I, won't be allowing this right to be used in our Workspaces. Because of this, I will now have to run access reports weekly to monitor all the workspaces and their 100's of documents within them to make sure that its not being used.

Too many rights that can alter/delete project level layouts, formats, etc.. to just grant without them understanding the ramifications that can occur from them using these new features that they won't be used too.

Julie Becker ☠️

• Michael Chohrach
    Michael Chohrach ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Regarding the "IMPORTANT" message referenced by @Julie Becker I'm curious how this now corresponds to the new Asset ownership updates where it states the following NOTE:

The contents of the IMPORTANT image state the deleted item will be in the sheet owner's Deleted Items folder while the "new" NOTE states the deleted assets will be in the Deleted Items folder of the admin who deleted them. Which of these two are now the true statement? Does it depend on if the asset is in a workspace or not?

We have over 350 employees and all of them have access to Smartsheet. Only around 70 are licensed users so is there a difference in how this new process works depending on if the sheet Admin is a licensed user or not? If the sheet Admin user is not a licensed user, will they still be able to delete the sheet?

• Julie Becker
    Julie Becker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Ella @QuanT - Ella, i hope SA's CANT assign themselves. 😠

Quan, please help answer Ella's questions regarding if System Admins (SA's) can assign themselves to any WS / sheet with full access/rights?

Julie Becker ☠️

• QuanT
    QuanT Employee
    Options

Hi all, just clarifying.

In the initial launch, the Plan Asset Admin has the ability to approve access requests, however they can't go to any asset and assign themselves permission. If they request permission to an asset, the owner and admins would need to approve the request. If an owner/admin does not exist on the asset (or are deactivated), the request will then go to the Plan Asset Admin. If no Plan Asset Admin exists, the request goes to the SysAdmin.

Today (prior to the change going live), the SysAdmin are able to transfer assets from one user to another (its an all or nothing) in order to prevent those assets from being purged when someone leaves the company. Part of this change is to not require that bulk transfer of assets anymore as it was pretty burdensome for SysAdmins.

• QuanT
    QuanT Employee
    Options

@Michael Chohrach the deleted item will be in the recycle bin of the person who deleted the asset.

The admin on the sheet will be able to delete the asset (and rename the asset) without a license. The license is required for creation.

• Michael Chohrach
    Michael Chohrach ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@QuanT I thought I read somewhere in one of the announcements that deleted assets would appear in the Deleted Items folder of at least the asset owner even if the deletion was done by an asset admin, but that only the admin who deleted the asset can restore it. Is that correct? Who all will see deleted assets in their Deleted Items folder? Just the user who deleted it? Just the deleting user and the asset owner? All asset admins?

• Michael Chohrach
    Michael Chohrach ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@QuanT The below info from the Asset ownership updates page seems to contradict your statement. Can you clarify?

• Ella
    Ella ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @QuanT just so that I make sure I am understanding you correctly, the Plan Asset Admin can approve access for any sheet if the request is coming from a user, but they can't assign themselves to a sheet they don't have access? Thank you!

• QuanT
    QuanT Employee
    Options

For this initial release, you are correct. If they request access on the sheet themselves and the request goes to them, they could approve access for themselves. In this situation, the asset doesn't have an owner or admin on the sheet.

• QuanT
    QuanT Employee
    Options

For this release, the user deleting the asset is the only one who will see the deleted asset in their deleted items folder, and they are the one who can restore it. I'm working with the team that owns this to expand that to other admins and plan asset admin but that is something in a future release

• QuanT
    QuanT Employee
    Options

The Plan Asset Admin granting the permission request is what the documentation means by allowing them to grant access. We don't have a UI to allow the Plan Asset Admin to browse or find any random asset and grant themselves or someone else access to the asset.

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/25/24
    Options

@Lekshmi Unnithan and @QuanT

Thank you for the post and the help article.

I have read both and am a little confused. (Sorry) I understand things being owned at a Plan Level, but it appears from reading the articles that the Plan Asset Admin is allocated to a User? I don't understand why, as that results in the same situation as we have currently! (like I said, I'm just not quite following this)

Could you please edit the help file to give an pictorial view of how this now works.

In my understanding the Smartsheet Plan is the Company that has purchased multiple Smartsheet Licenses.

The Owners/Admins/Editors/Commenters/Viewers are allocated to people. What is Plan Asset Admin allocated to - the Company or a Person with a license in the company?

If it is the company - then is it the sys admin user for the Plan that is the associated Plan Asset Admin? If so, what do people see in the Share Permissions, the name of the sys admin user as the Plan Asset Admin or the Name of the Company?

A picture would be great please!?

Thank you for any clarification.

Kind regards

Debbie