Does anyone know if it's possible to get notifications sent to a rolling list of receivers?

IE Can Smartsheet send the first notification to one person, then the next contact person in the list of notification recipients- without sending to the whole group? Or am I going to have to keep it sending notifications to ALL people as a group and they disseminate the work?

Thanks!

Jen Lawson, PMP

Vernal Biosciences

Colchester, VT 05446

Best Answer

• Okey
    Okey ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Jen Lawson,

Based on your description of the screenshot, yes. You can send notifications as the criteria changes, you just need to add multiple criteria & recipients for the rows. The simplest way will be to create different automations for this.

On the other hand, if you require different individuals to be alerted based on the same criteria, they will all be alerted at the same time unfortunately.

Do you have a sample of the workflow on the criteria and number of recipients?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Jen Lawson

I hope you're well and safe!

Yes, but the best structure depends on how your structure is.

Can you share some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Jen Lawson
    Jen Lawson ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Andree-

Thank you, and yes, I am well and hope the same for you!

Here's a screen shot of my sheet, and what we want to do is trigger notifications to a changing list of people, to spread the work out. For example, in the below, when LP Actual is complete, a specific person would get notified. Then when the next line also gets completed, a second person would get notified. Same for the next manufacturing stage of IVT/Uncapped Actual and so on. At each phase, we have different people that could be assigned the work.

Thank you!

Jen Lawson, PMP

Vernal Biosciences

Colchester, VT 05446

• Okey
    Okey ✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/03/24

Hi @Jen Lawson

Happy New Year!

You can use the Smartsheet automation to send these notifications to the recipients based on the criteria you mentioned. Some templates can assist you in building this out and if you are not familiar with automation, you can create an automation for each criterion.

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2481841-overview-of-automated-notifications-sent-via-smartsheet.

I hope this helps. If you are still having difficulties, please let me know.

• Jen Lawson
    Jen Lawson ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Okey

I use lots of automation, but can I create automation with a rotating list of recipients? IE my goal is to get the work spread out to multiple users, doling it out first to one person, then second to another, then third and so on. Is that possible, do you know?

Thanks!

Jen Lawson, PMP

Vernal Biosciences

Colchester, VT 05446

• Okey
    Okey ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Jen Lawson,

Based on your description of the screenshot, yes. You can send notifications as the criteria changes, you just need to add multiple criteria & recipients for the rows. The simplest way will be to create different automations for this.

On the other hand, if you require different individuals to be alerted based on the same criteria, they will all be alerted at the same time unfortunately.

Do you have a sample of the workflow on the criteria and number of recipients?

• Jen Lawson
    Jen Lawson ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the alert being sent to separate individuals- for the same criteria will be the problem. My initial plan was for all potential recipients to receive the notification and for them to disperse the work accordingly- amongst themselves. I may have to go with that.

I have the workflow already in place, for the group leader- but he was hoping to remove the human handout factor. Alas, we must maintain some humanity here. :)

Thank you for your assistance, I appreciate the feedback!

Jen Lawson, PMP

Vernal Biosciences

Colchester, VT 05446

• Okey
    Okey ✭✭✭✭

@Jen Lawson,

You are most welcome!

Have a great new year :)