Partial cell population

I have a Part Number column The part number is combination of letters and numbers. The majority of the number is the same each time with only the last three digits changing. The column does not run in numerical order as the part number may appear more then once.

Is there a way for the cell to populate the complete part number when just the last three digits are input?

Thanks in advance

Answers

• Toufong Vang
    Toufong Vang ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have a column called "Prefix" where you have the letters and numbers that--for the majority of the time, remain the same--you can have another column, "Number", where you enter the last three digits.

You would use a column formula in your "Part Number" column/field to create the full part number.

= [Prefix]@row + [Number]@row

• Ed Gadd
    Ed Gadd ✭✭

Thanks for the response. It's unfortunately not quite what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for convenience to that by inputting the last 3 digits the whole part number will appear. I know this can be achieved on similar spread sheet software

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Are you able to provide some screenshots for context?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Ed Gadd
    Ed Gadd ✭✭

Hi @Paul Newcome,

I've copied a picture into this comment. You'll see the P/N but I wish to only type the last 3 digits, the rest will always be populated when the last 3 digits are input. I know this is possible on other platforms. But is this availiable on Smartsheet's?

Thank you

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You would need at least one other column with a formula that will output the prefix and then pull in the number from the column you type the number into. You won't be able to have it populate the same cell that you are typing the number into.

="RES" + RIGHT("00000" + [Manual Number Column]@row, 5)

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!