#incorrect argument for COUNTIFS and ISDATE/checking DATA exists

I am trying to use a COUNTIFS statement that looks at a Sheet and counts rows that contain a Column with specific text (Names, first and last) and a column that is a Date. I'm writing this formula in its own sheet. The sheet contains a list of 70 names and my formula will use that cell to reference that in the first IF statement. I have that working. When I add the second statement, to look for a DATE in the column I get the "#Incorrect Argument" error. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Formulas I have tried are:

=COUNTIFS({Range 1}, =[Primary Column]@row, {Range 2}, @cell <> "")

=COUNTIFS({Range 1}, =[Primary Column]@row, {Range 2}, ISDATE(@cell) = 1)

Answers

• Lucas Rayala
    Lucas Rayala ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/15/23

Hi @Miami_Fins, to troubleshoot I would strip Range 1 out of the COUNTIFS to make sure you can count your dates. Also, is the Date Range 2 column a "Date" column type? If not, then the "ISDATE" will return an error.

I often use a "LEN" function when I'm trying to check if a cell has any content. It's kind of bulletproof in its ability to detect content in a cell, and works whether the column has a column formula or not (which is not always true for <>"").

Try the below -- I removed the equals from in front of the Primary Column reference as it's not required. Also, obviously, doublecheck to make sure that Range 2 is pointing at the correct column.

=COUNTIFS({Range 1}, [Primary Column]@row, {Range 2}, LEN(@cell)>0)

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!