Auto-formatting on New Rows

Options

I'm trying to build a collaborative sheet for my team, but every time someone adds a new row, the formatting from the (January, February, etc.) parent rows applies to the new row. Is there a way to turn this auto formatting off so all new rows entered into the sheet are standard white rows with 10 pt black text?

Answers

• JamesB
    JamesB ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@monica16145 You could create a helper column with a =Count(Ancestors()) formula as a column formula, then use Conditional Formatting to format rows based on the number in the result.

With this formula, a top level row would =0 because it has no ancestors, the first child would =1, the child below that =2, and so on.

• monica16145
    monica16145 ✭✭✭
    Options

Neat! This worked pretty well but for some reason the italics, size 12 font, and bold formats are still carrying over. (everything except the blue background color). I set up the conditional formatting like this:

If "Helper Column" is not 0 then apply this format to entire row.

Any idea why its doing this? Thanks

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @monica16145

I hope you're well and safe!

Ensure you're changing all the formatting settings set by other rules or manually in the sheet.

Make sense?

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week & Happy Holidays!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• monica16145
    monica16145 ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Andrée, I do not have any other formats set in the sheet that would compete with this one. What do you mean by manually changing?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@monica16145

With manual, I mean the ones that you change the format manually, and that format will show if you don't select something instead of it in the rule.

Make sense?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• JamesB
    JamesB ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@monica16145 Also note that formatting rules apply in order from top to bottom. So 1 rule could cancel out another. You may need to reorder your rules.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!