Training Database

Hakan
Hakan ✭✭
edited 12/19/23 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi, how can I use Smartsheet to create a training database? I would like to populate it with training courses (with dates, location and cost), and then staff can vote/apply to go on those training courses. Thanks

Best Answers

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Hakan

One way I've seen it is to list all the employees and their roles/groups down the first two columns. Then consider each training course its own section of a few columns: course name, description, cost, hyperlink, required checkbox, completed checkbox, due by date, completed date, and renewal date. So if you had 10 courses, it would 90 columns right there just for course information. It seems like a lot but with reports it can feel like less. From there you could set up all kinds of notifications and reports by role or group or who hasn't completed the training yet and is required to do so.

The other option is to have each course be its own row and then list the employees as columns. This method works for small companies that don't need a filtered list of whose done what. I like the 1st method better but I've seen this work too.

I hope those ideas help.

Thanks - Matt

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• Hakan
    Hakan ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Thank you Matt!

Answers

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Hakan

One way I've seen it is to list all the employees and their roles/groups down the first two columns. Then consider each training course its own section of a few columns: course name, description, cost, hyperlink, required checkbox, completed checkbox, due by date, completed date, and renewal date. So if you had 10 courses, it would 90 columns right there just for course information. It seems like a lot but with reports it can feel like less. From there you could set up all kinds of notifications and reports by role or group or who hasn't completed the training yet and is required to do so.

The other option is to have each course be its own row and then list the employees as columns. This method works for small companies that don't need a filtered list of whose done what. I like the 1st method better but I've seen this work too.

I hope those ideas help.

Thanks - Matt

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• Hakan
    Hakan ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Thank you Matt!