Can I use Dynamic View to control widgets on a dashboard?

Options

I am learning Dynamic view and Work Apps. So far so good. I understand how to create and apply Dynamic Views/Filters on sheets. I thought that it was possible, from the ENGAGE conference, to control widget displays on a dashboard using DV. For example, I would like a dashboard to NOT display certain metrics based on a defined group/role.

I haven't been able to find any help content around this. Is it possible?

Thanks.

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Pauline J

Dynamic Views currently only display their content within the Dynamic View itself. There isn't a way to make Dashboard widgets dynamic based on who is looking at a single Dashboard at this time.

You can embed a Dynamic View into a Dashboard, or you could create multiple, separate Dashboards (filtered for each user type).

Since you're using Workapps, I would do the latter, then surface the relevant Dashboard in a Workapp to each role.

For example, if you had 5 Roles, you could create 5 parallel Dashboards that are all set up the same but are referencing unique content. Then you can hide 4 of them for each role and only make visible the one that contains the appropriate data. Does that make sense?

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Pauline J

Dynamic Views currently only display their content within the Dynamic View itself. There isn't a way to make Dashboard widgets dynamic based on who is looking at a single Dashboard at this time.

You can embed a Dynamic View into a Dashboard, or you could create multiple, separate Dashboards (filtered for each user type).

Since you're using Workapps, I would do the latter, then surface the relevant Dashboard in a Workapp to each role.

For example, if you had 5 Roles, you could create 5 parallel Dashboards that are all set up the same but are referencing unique content. Then you can hide 4 of them for each role and only make visible the one that contains the appropriate data. Does that make sense?

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Pauline J
    Pauline J ✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/22/23
    Options

Thanks so much -- yes, it does make sense, it's the work-around I figured would be the answer. I was just hoping there was another method. I appreciate the affirmation and recommendation!

Pauline

Edit: *I mistakenly flagged my response as the answer and can't undo it. But I marked yours also!