Checkbox on one sheet to autofill checkbox on another sheet

I found a very similar question asked about a year ago around this (https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/98302/can-a-checkbox-in-one-sheet-be-auto-checked-based-on-a-checked-checkbox-in-another-sheet) but I cannot wrap my head around the formula provided as a response.

I have a sheet where I am checking off a box and once that gets checked, I need a checkbox on another sheet automatically checked. It should be based on matching by a name field.

So when the "Entered in CelebU" cell is checked on this sheet (let's call it "Sheet 1"):

I need the "Entered in CelebU" field automatically checked on this other sheet (let's call it "Sheet 2"):

Would appreciate any help!

Answers

• Zachary Hall
    Zachary Hall ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Paul's formula from that sheet would work to paste into the checkbox column on Sheet 2 for your situation as well. Here is the formula and a little bit of a break down:

• =IF(COUNTIFS({Sheet 1 Identifier}, @cell = [Identifier]@row, {Sheet 1 Checkbox Column}, @cell = 1)> 0, 1)
    • This COUNTIFS() function is looking for two things:
      • The Sheet 1 range for the value in whatever "Identifier" column you want to use
      • The Sheet 1 Checkbox to be checked
    • The outer IF() statement is returning a 1 if the COUNTIFS() statement finds any rows that match the conditions above.

I hope this helps!

Best,

Zach Hall

Training Delivery Manager / Charter Communications

• I think I got it to work - just took a minute to figure out what the @cell and @row pieces needed to be. That was my main hang up of what I needed to be pointing to there. But it seems to be working how I got it, so thank you!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!