Alert someone when Form is Updated

Hello,

I have a Smartsheet Form with Approve and Decline option. If Approved, the Form goes to the Manager for assigning resources. If Declined, the Form goes to Person 2 for updating. Person 2 then makes the changes and clicks Submit Update on the Form. I need to setup an automated alert to the Manager when Person 2 submits update. How do I do that? My Smartsheet has Status column, so I thought I could change the status to "Update Complete" when Person 2 submits the update and then use that to trigger the notification to the Manager. How can I do that? Any other way to do it? Thank you

Answers

• jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp
    jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Naina Dave

In such a situation, I request Person 2 to update the request and resubmit the request so that the Manager can approve or decline the updated request.

Just to alert the Manager that the update by Person 2 is what you want, you could make a workflow to alert the Manager that gets triggered when rows are changed with a condition modified by = Person 2.

• Naina Dave
    Naina Dave ✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/22/23

Thank you. I tried this solution but it doesn't work.

My workflow is set to change the Status to "Update In Progress" when Person 2 declines the request.

The Approver and Person 2 are the same persons, so when I add a workflow to change status of the row to "approved" when Person 2 makes changes, it triggers a notification to manager even when the request is Declined as the workflow is considering the decline action as a modification by Person 2.

When you say "update the request and resubmit the request" do you mean fill out the request from scratch as a new request? That would create a new entry in the underlying Smartsheet, which is not what I want.

• jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp
    jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Naina Dave

When I say "update the request and resubmit the request", I mean to change or add information to the original request.

When the approver declines a request, there should be some reason, for instance, a lack of information or a request that is too large. So, the approver can comment on what should be done to the original request.

Then, the requestor improves the original request and resubsits the request for further consideration.

This is the ordinary course of an approval process, but your organization may have a different process. (For example, I don't understand why "the Approver and Person 2 are the same persons")

• Naina Dave
    Naina Dave ✭✭✭✭

Thank you. Yes, the reason for decline would be incomplete information on the Request. The role of the approver would be to check if the request is complete and then approve if it is complete and if not complete they would decline and then update the request with missing information and submit the update. For some reason, when the person 2 submits the update, the workflow is not getting triggered. I have found a workaround for it for now and will keep working on the solution after the holidays. Thank you for your help.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!