How can I find out the source of failure for a column formula?

I'm creating a smartsheet that is a summarization of different sheets for charting purposes. I've created a formula to find out the total number of material that matches specific qualifications.

When I created the formula, it was working, but when I make is a column formula, suddenly the majority of the values have "Invalid Operation". All referenced columns are identical in data type and column data entry type.

Screencap of the sheet showing that some cells work and others don't. The 0 values are expected.

Screencap of the formula used.

Answers

• Lucas Rayala
    Lucas Rayala ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/21/23

Hi @PleaseHelpJay -- you're criteria can't contain a range -- when you are referring to a value in the range, you use @cell. Try this for your second criteria:

<>(@cell+" - USA")

Editing this -- I believe you just don't want to return values with "USA" in the Range 2? If so, your criterial should be:

NOT(CONTAINS("USA", @cell))

• PleaseHelpJay
    PleaseHelpJay ✭✭✭
    edited 12/21/23

Hello @Lucas Rayala !

Thank you for your help! Just so that I understand the background to the reference, why would I put @cell? what does this reference?

Also I just tried with the update and the error code switches to Unparseable.

Best

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!