Trouble getting multiple IF statements to return a value

I have been able to have one IF statement return one value but when i try to add multiples i receive #unpareseable. Can someone tell me what i'm doing wrong?

Trying to have a

"Cognitive" value return "Sport Gait "1"

"Gait" value return "Sport Gait 2"

"Both" value return "Sport Gait 1&2"

=IF([Why did they not pass?]@row= "Cognitive", "Sport Gate 1"), = IF([Why did they not pass?]@row= "Gait", "Sport Gate 2", = IF([Why did they not pass?]@row= "Both", "Sport Gait 1&2")

Best Answer

• John Shane
    John Shane ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Jpurdom

The formula below should return what you are looking for, while leaving the cell blank if there is nothing in the "Why did they not pass?" cell. The key is the formatting of the nested IF statements. This formula has three if statements. If the first is true, it outputs "Sport Gate 1". If not, it evaluates the second IF statement. If the second is true, it outputs "Sport Gate 2". If not, it evaluates the third IF and outputs "Sport Gate 1&2" for TRUE and a blank cell for FALSE. Hope this helps!

=IF([Why did they not pass?]@row= "Cognitive", "Sport Gate 1", IF([Why did they not pass?]@row= "Gait", "Sport Gate 2", IF([Why did they not pass?]@row= "Both", "Sport Gait 1&2","")))

Cheers,

John

Answers

• John Shane
    John Shane ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Jpurdom

The formula below should return what you are looking for, while leaving the cell blank if there is nothing in the "Why did they not pass?" cell. The key is the formatting of the nested IF statements. This formula has three if statements. If the first is true, it outputs "Sport Gate 1". If not, it evaluates the second IF statement. If the second is true, it outputs "Sport Gate 2". If not, it evaluates the third IF and outputs "Sport Gate 1&2" for TRUE and a blank cell for FALSE. Hope this helps!

=IF([Why did they not pass?]@row= "Cognitive", "Sport Gate 1", IF([Why did they not pass?]@row= "Gait", "Sport Gate 2", IF([Why did they not pass?]@row= "Both", "Sport Gait 1&2","")))

Cheers,

John

• Jpurdom
    Jpurdom ✭✭

Thank you!!! That worked

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!