3 out 9 Sheets take 5 Minutes or More to Load .... Why?

I have built a preview process for Marketing Materials that contains 9 sheets. The sheets contain automations and not all sheets are connected.

All of the sudden 3 of the 9 sheets are taking 5 minutes or more to load. It is happening for the entire team, not just myself. It happens a home and in the office. It started with just 1 sheet, then a month later another started doing it. 6 months later the 3rd one started. The team is starting to complain.

What causes this? How can it be fixed?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @LBundschuh

I hope you're well and safe!

There can be multiple reasons why this happens.

• How many rows/columns do you have in the sheets?
    • How many cross-sheet references?
    • How much is cell-linked?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week & Happy Holidays!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Less than 10 rows on the ones that are slow to open. All sheets have the same 37 columns. There are no cross-sheet references. The sheet that has 400+ rows opens within seconds.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@LBundschuh

Strange!

Is there anything else that's different about the sheets?

I'd recommend testing to make a copy of the ones that are having issues to see if that makes any difference.

Did it?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• I can try that. If it works that is great except ..... what made it happen in the first place? How many more times will this happen? Is this a common issue?

These 3 sheets have 13 automations on each one, plus there are projects with proofs still on them. If I make a copy of the sheet then I lose all the proofs that are currently on the sheet. It will take hours to create the copies and then create automations to move projects from the current sheet to the new copies, plus I will then have to go in and edit all the automations on the 9 sheets that are in my workflow.

I am already fighting the "disappearing proofs" when some projects are moved from one sheet to another. We lose the proof, all the versions of the proof, the history of the proof and all comments about the proofs.

Are there plans to fix any of these issues?

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!