Need a formula for % complete for all phases on the parent project summary row. Row is non editable

I need an average formula in the parent project summary (row 23). Formula should include all phases (initiating, planning, executing, closing). The parent row is un-editable and not allowing me to enter a formula.

Best Answer

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Nikki G

If you indent all phases so that «SCC Project Name» is the top level parent to all, then everything will roll up to that row. You might need to adust the conditional formatting to keep the look of this sheet with the Dark Blue but that should do what you want. It will also rollup you Start and Finish dates for the whole project too.

I hope that helps.

Matt

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

Answers

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Nikki G

If you indent all phases so that «SCC Project Name» is the top level parent to all, then everything will roll up to that row. You might need to adust the conditional formatting to keep the look of this sheet with the Dark Blue but that should do what you want. It will also rollup you Start and Finish dates for the whole project too.

I hope that helps.

Matt

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• SSFeatures
    SSFeatures ✭✭✭

Hi @Nikki G,

For the Initiating, Planning, Executing, and Closing rows, you can use this formula to calculate the average of all of their children rows.

=AVG(CHILDREN())

For the «SCC Project Name» row, you cannot use the CHILDREN function since Initiating, Planning, Executing, and Closing are not children of the «SCC Project Name» row. So you must use a function like this:

=AVG([% Complete]28, [% Complete]35, [% Complete]42, [% Complete]47)

The numbers 28, 35, 42, and 47 represent the row numbers for Initiating, Planning, Executing, and Closing.

I hope this helps!

SSFeatures - The browser extension that adds more features into SmartSheet.

• Automatic sorting, sorting with filters, saving sort settings
    • Spell checking
    • Report PDF generator that supports grouped and summarized reports

• That worked! Thanks so much!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!