setting up linking

Newbie here working on building a crop plan for my homestead, but don't think i'm setting this up correctly in Smartsheet.

So far, I've got a sheet called "crop info". This has stuff for my main crop list so

name of crop, weeks in greenhouse, number of plantings, etc. This is kind of like my more general goals for the season.

I've also got a secondary sheet called "crop plan" which is where I will schedule my crops. This is where i will put the specific details of each crop like varieties. Right now, I've got the list of crops in a dropdown list. (because I don't think you can use values of one sheet in a dropdown list). That's fine.

So this sheet has variety, name of crop (dropdown list), days to maturity, start date, end date, etc.)

What I want is to also be able to pull data from crop info into crop plan so I can calculate things instead of doing each calculation manually. So if I select lettuce in the crop plan, it will also be able to calculate how long in the greenhouse lettuce takes.

The problem is when i am in "crop plan", I go to link to "crop info" and that sheet does not show up? I am thinking something is wrong with my workspace or I don't understand the difference between a workspace or a sheet? I can see the sheets in "recents" just not when i use the link?

Answers

• Purnima Gore_PGPS
    Purnima Gore_PGPS ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @scrocker

You may want to try and link the cell or use a VLookup function to pull information through.

Let me know if that works

Kind regards

Purnima

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @scrocker

I hope you're well and safe!

You could use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet.

Another option would be to use so-called helper sheets. In short, copy the row to a helper sheet and then use my method described previously to get the values you need to another helper sheet and then copy/move the row from that sheet to the main destination sheet.

To connect them row by row, you'd use an Autonumber Column in the Source sheet and add a so-called helper column to manually add the row id on as many rows as you think you need in the Destination sheet.

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week & Happy New Year!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!