Connecting assets in a Parent/Child relationship

Options

Hi there! We are looking for the best way to connect assets that have a main version (Parent) with specific state variations (such as CA, FL, etc.) (Child). My first thought is to use keywords in the description field or a specific tag to connect the assets but wanted to ask if there was another way.

Thanks!

Best Answers

• Rebeca S.
    Rebeca S. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @jenmiller751,

There could be different ways to do this depending on how you use the assets, here are a couple options:

Option 1 would be adding the "Child Assets" as attachments to the "Parent" asset, so they all live in the same asset, and name the attachments based on State.

Option 2 would be using Dependent Custom Fields. You could have Custom Fields for the "Parent Assets," and create dependent fields for the "Child Assets" based on State.

• Enable Custom Fields - Click the Settings button > select General settings > Advanced tab > enable Control custom fields.
    • Set Up Custom Fields - Select the Custom Fields tab > add custom Keys and Values > select Update Custom Fields
    • Set Up Dependent Custom Fields - Click the Settings button > select Bulk Management > Custom Fields > choose the Dependency tab > select +Add dependent custom fields.
    • There you'll be able to download a CSV template with the current Keys and Values, you can add the dependents in this template (separate multiples with a semi colon), and upload it again. You can check the help article for more information.

If I can help you with anything else, please let me know!

• Rebeca S.
    Rebeca S. Employee Admin
    edited 01/09/24 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Jenni,

Makes sense! Hope these options work well with the integration, but happy to help if you have any further questions as you test them.

Answers

• Waynedalf
    Waynedalf ✭✭✭
    Options

What about using a project plan template for the data and indenting the children under the parent?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @jenmiller751

I hope you're well and safe!

Can you share some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help.

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend & Happy New Year!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• jenmiller751
    Options

Hi there,

This issue is working within Brandfolder not Smartsheet. Just to clarify.

• Rebeca S.
    Rebeca S. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @jenmiller751,

There could be different ways to do this depending on how you use the assets, here are a couple options:

Option 1 would be adding the "Child Assets" as attachments to the "Parent" asset, so they all live in the same asset, and name the attachments based on State.

Option 2 would be using Dependent Custom Fields. You could have Custom Fields for the "Parent Assets," and create dependent fields for the "Child Assets" based on State.

• Enable Custom Fields - Click the Settings button > select General settings > Advanced tab > enable Control custom fields.
    • Set Up Custom Fields - Select the Custom Fields tab > add custom Keys and Values > select Update Custom Fields
    • Set Up Dependent Custom Fields - Click the Settings button > select Bulk Management > Custom Fields > choose the Dependency tab > select +Add dependent custom fields.
    • There you'll be able to download a CSV template with the current Keys and Values, you can add the dependents in this template (separate multiples with a semi colon), and upload it again. You can check the help article for more information.

If I can help you with anything else, please let me know!

• jenmiller751
    Options

Hi @Rebeca S.

This is what I was thinking but wanted verification. We currently have an integration that may limit me adding custom fields, and each piece needs a unique CDN link so these suggestions will need testing.

Thanks for your input!

Jenni

• Rebeca S.
    Rebeca S. Employee Admin
    edited 01/09/24 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Jenni,

Makes sense! Hope these options work well with the integration, but happy to help if you have any further questions as you test them.