Using Successors as a workaround for not having direct access to Row number

Sfisher
Sfisher ✭✭✭
edited 01/08/24 in Formulas and Functions

I'm giving Smartsheets and 2nd shot. Have been happy with use as a staff task tracker for last year and working on building a full project management system. I have used Predecessors to control status of next task unfortunately I have to manually enter a Task ID for all tasks matching the current row number as we still don't have access to the row ID in a cell. Hint, hint, everyone seems to want it. Using auto an auto number column doesn't work as new tasks could need to be entered into the middle of project organization. I've created a Successor column and function to populate the applicable row numbers but I'm hitting a wall at how to use them. I've tried suggestions from similar posts but I keep getting Unparseable. My end goal is to set up conditional formating to change all successor rows if the any predecessor has the Status of "Blocked"

S. Fisher

Best Answer

• DKazatsky2
    DKazatsky2 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Sfisher,

There is a way for you to add a column to track row id and it will update as rows are added/deleted. Us the following formula.

=MATCH([Task Name]@row, [Task Name]:[Task Name], 0)

Hope this helps,

Dave

Answers

• DKazatsky2
    DKazatsky2 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Sfisher,

There is a way for you to add a column to track row id and it will update as rows are added/deleted. Us the following formula.

=MATCH([Task Name]@row, [Task Name]:[Task Name], 0)

Hope this helps,

Dave

• Sfisher
    Sfisher ✭✭✭

It does, thank you. I don't fully understand what it is doing but it seems so simple and leads to curiosity of why so may threads about how to use the task ID number in a formula don't mention this solution. Having this number should help but I'll still be looking to it along with successors to push formats, etc. all the way down a task chain.

S. Fisher

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!