Removing Parent Rows in a report

Hello,

I am trying to create a report that doesn't incorporate the parent rows from multiple sheets.

I have read a lot of suggestions, most involve creating a helper column based on one of these two formulas

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN([Task Name]@row)) > 0; 
= COUNT(ANCESTORS()) + 1)

however, Smartsheet won't let me make the first one a column formula due to a syntax issue, and the second one just returns #BOOLEAN EXPECTED.

Does anyone have any ideas to correct this, or other methods to ignore parent rows when creating a report?

Answers

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @crodts

Maybe try =COUNT(ANCESTORS()) and then filter off all the 0 values.

I hope that helps.

Matt

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• crodts
    crodts ✭✭

@Matt Johnson thanks for the reply, this is the result I got:

even ignoring the #boolean expected error, it still appears to not be working because the first two rows are parent rows yet one is checked and one isn't.

When I change the column type to text it yields:

which isn't helpful seeing as it gives a variety of numbers that I cannot filter specifically.

• crodts
    crodts ✭✭

@Matt Johnson thanks for the reply, this is what that yielded (left column being my helper column in checkbox form):

I am not sure how filtering would work here. Disregarding the #boolean expected error, the formula still doesn't appear to work given that the first two rows are both parent rows, yet their checkbox values are different.

I changed the column type to text and this was the result:

which is also not helpful as I am unable to filter by any values seeing as the numbers aren't in a simple pattern.

Any thoughts?

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭

What level of "parent" are you trying to filter by? In your example you have (3) levels of parents. Another approach would be to use =COUNT(CHILDREN()) and filter off the 1 values. That might work.

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner