Parse the e-mail address from a contact list entry (real time)

I realize I can convert the column from Contact List to Text/Dropdown, and reveal the "<" and ">", thus enabling the text functions, but this does not work "real time". If I use an "=" to pull the Contact into a helper column that is Text/Dropdown, I only get the name...the e-mail is not pulled over.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Answers

• Lucas Rayala
    Lucas Rayala ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@James Fischer short of a more elegant solution, you could do this:

IF you have a manageable list of names that you don't need to constantly update, you could create a helper column that points to the contact column and says:

=IF([Recipient Email]@row="James Fischer", "james.fischer@email.com","")

I would use a series of stacked IF statements rather than nested IF statements to make this easier to read and create. You can do this in a notepad in pretty short order, like this:

=IF(email@row="User 1", user1@email.com,"") +

IF(email@row="User 2", user2@email.com,"") +

IF(email@row="User 3", user3@email.com,"") +

IF(email@row="User 4", user4@email.com,"")

This works because you can have as many formulas in a cell as you like (barring character limits) by stacking them with the plus "+" sign, and as long as each IF statement is independent from every other IF statement (meaning you won't trigger more than one at a time), then it's easier to create and parse later if you stack them rather than nesting them.

• Lucas Rayala
    Lucas Rayala ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've had occasions where I've generated large stacks of formulas like this using an Excel table and formulas that generate my formulas :)