Customising Comment Notifications

John_Foster
John_Foster ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have looked and cannot see a way to customise notifications sent to users who are notified because they are @ mentioned in the comment.

Is there a way to do this? My issue is that some users will get a notification when mentioned, but because they do not have access to the sheet they are unable to respond. We are looking at rolling out Dynamic View which would give the user the ability to see the comment in the Dynamic View that they have access to, but it would be good to send them the comment with a link for them to be able to click on and take them to the Dynamic View.

If I am right and this is not possible, I will submit a feature request for this, because it would seem to be something that would be quite useful.

Thanks,

John

Answers

• edapel
    edapel ✭✭✭✭

Hi John,

I have done quite a bit of research on this due to running a multi-year project with business resources that are not setup as users. Same issue as you are having, and the only way I can fix it was to either update myself after they send me the update or add them into the system as non-licensed users.

I did add a small subset of them, mainly managers as they could get the answers and update for me, however I agree on adding the feature request for this, I would like to have anyone in the domain have the ability to respond to the email and update the comments.

Ed

If this comment helped you, please help me and help others by using the buttons below if you found it💡Insightfulor❤️Awesome!

Hope you have a great day!!

Ed

• John_Foster
    John_Foster ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @edapel,

Thank you for your answer. The majority of the users are already unlicensed users, but I would need to give them access to the sheet for them to comment, but we do not want to do this as some of the items submitted are confidential so we cannot do that. It is for that reason that we are looking at using Dynamic View which handles the filtering of values as we need. It is just making it easy for those notified to be able to add comments to rows, the notifications go out with a URL to a sheet that they cannot access, so I can see that this will become painful having to explain to them they need to go to a URL which is not shown in the comment notification.

Thanks,

John

• edapel
    edapel ✭✭✭✭

That is correct, they have to be shared to the sheet as at least a commenter in order to respond to the email. That as you stated would open them up to view the entire sheet and see everything.

Dynamic view at this point is going to be your only option for the updates you are looking for, just make sure when setting up dynamic view for them that you only allow them to see what is assigned or requested by them. I would also say test it multiple times with someone that is not an admin, as I have seen things differently when we set things up vs how a commenter sees it. I have setup a few test accounts with different access that I can log into and test this, would recommend the same if you have not done so yet.

If this comment helped you, please help me and help others by using the buttons below if you found it💡Insightfulor❤️Awesome!

Hope you have a great day!!

Ed