Formula to pull constant number string from variable text strings

2»

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/23/24

My method using the MID function does work in a stepped fashion and can be used to find the first through the last instance without using the extra [N#] columns and without needing different formulas for different steps or referencing different cells. You only need to reference the multi-select cell with my formula. The formula in my post that you are referring to is actually specifically designed for a multi-select dropdown without any modification necessary other than specifying which instance you want to pull (1, 2, 1 / 2, 3, 2 / 3, 4, 3 / etc.).

Using my method means less unique cell references and as such should improve performance quite a bit since it cuts down on the number of needed columns in addition too the number of unique cell references.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Lucas Rayala It isn't the SUBSTITUTE function that reorders the list. It is because a multi-select field is stored on the back end in alphabetical order. I will have to take a look through my notes to see how I got through this reliably, but I am fairly certain I usually end up converting it to a text string in a text/number column.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• Lucas Rayala
    Lucas Rayala ✭✭✭✭✭✭

That makes sense! And that's actually a key reason to convert it prior to parsing it (if even just for clarity's sake). I've parsed these straight from the list before using a CHAR(10) as part of the FIND criteria and the results always came through a little wonky because they weren't in the order I was expecting. It's too bad you can't keep that original order -- I don't seem to see a way, anyway. Even simply reflecting a list, =list@row, puts them in alpha-numeric order.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Lucas Rayala I have always made sure my column properties had the various options listed in alpha-numeric order anyway. Haha. I have only run into it a few times where I had to work with a client created list in the order they wanted.

10xViz.com

• Lucas Rayala
    Lucas Rayala ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I sometimes have large lists, of which only 2 or 3 items are chosen on a regular basis. In those instance, I usually add those two items to the top (as well as the general list). That makes it easier for the user to grab what they need. I think that's why I've run into this.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Lucas Rayala That makes sense. Usually in those cases I will start them out with a letter or number such as as "01. Option C", "02. Option E", "03. Option A", so on and so forth, but of course that's not always the preference.

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!