Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Formula with a # result

Options
2»

Comments

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yeah np. One of my first steps in troubleshooting my own formulas is to delete all the closing parenthesis and hit enter so the program recalculates the amount. Sadly that wasn't my first thought in troubleshooting this one but I got there haha

• Laura
    Laura ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

=column9 * column10 

The Result I'm getting is Invalid Operation

Column9 = the formula just created with the result being either 50, 75 or 100

Column10 = (Column3)9 / (Column3)8 * 100    

• Laura
    Laura ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

They're all Text/Number Columns

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/19/17
    Options

use brackets not parenthesis for column identifiers.

[Column3]9/[Column3]8

You should also use parenthesis to denote operation order. If you are trying to multiply the result of what is divided then it would be

([Column3]9/[Column3]8)*100

If you are trying to multiply the denominator by 100 then

[Column3]9/([Column3]8*100)

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If column 10 is working then the only issue i can think of is some sort of data type issue with column3

• Laura
    Laura ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The Formula I have in Column10row# works

When I'm attempting to multiply the results in Column9 x results in Column10

is when I get the Invalid Operation Error 

=(Column9)10 * (Column10)10

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

can you post what is actually in the columns right now that you are trying to multiply?

• OAP
    Options

Hi, need to be quite crafeul with how many formulas you put in a sheet.

It can make the sheet completely unusable (just grinds to a halt) even with just moderate formula usage nowhere near the capability that is advertised or woudl generally be exected from a spreadsheet system

The formulas are also much more complicated to use than Google Sheets or Excel.

This discussion has been closed.