Index Match not working with multiple options

I am trying to get a formula to work with multiple options selected in the reference sheet. The reference sheet has a Unit column and multiple contact columns. The contact columns are based off the roles within the unit. I have several formulas based off the Unit column. Some units have the same contact list, so I have multiple selected, (from a drop-down list) in a row on the reference sheet. The formula works for Unit rows that only have one unit selected.

=INDEX({St Gab Organization Superintendent}, MATCH(Unit@row, {St Gab Organization Unit}, 0))

I am trying to figure out how to get this to work without having to break it down by every single unit. For instance, if unit 1A, 1B, 1C, and 1D have the same unit contacts, I want to have them listed on the same row, in the reference sheet. However, only one unit will be listed on the sheet with the formula.

I am sorry if I did not explain this every well. Can someone help me get this to work?

Tags:

Best Answers

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Are you able to provide screenshots (with sample data if needed) for context?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• tsetto2
    tsetto2 ✭✭✭
    edited 01/16/24

Hey Paul,

I have a reference sheet created that has the management team associated with a unit (see picture 1). If I only have one unit in the row (rows 1-4), my formula will correctly pull emails into another sheet. If I have multiple units selected in the reference row (row 5), my formula will only work if I have those same units in the sheet collecting the information.

I get #NO MATCH each time I try to put the unit individually, in the sheet with the formula (see picture 2, unit A1). I have tried it with Index Collect and could not get it to work.

The formula I use is listed below. I want my reference sheet to have multiple units in the row. However, I want the sheet using the formula to only have one unit associated with each row.

=INDEX({St Gab Organization Superintendent}, MATCH(Unit@row, {St Gab Organization Unit}, 0))

• DKazatsky2
    DKazatsky2 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @tsetto2,

You were on the right track when you looking at INDEX/COLLECT. Try the following.

=INDEX(COLLECT({St Gab Organization Superintendent}, {St Gab Organization Unit}, HAS(@cell, Unit@row)), 1)

Hope this helps,

Dave

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@tsetto2 Give this a go:

=IFERROR(INDEX(COLLECT({St Gab Organization Superintendent}, {St Gab Organization Unit}, HAS(@cell, Unit@row)), 1), "")

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• tsetto2
    tsetto2 ✭✭✭

@Paul Newcome and @DKazatsky2 Thank you both!!! The formulas work!

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help. 👍️

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!