Looking for a formula to show the current status

Joseph Aloysias
Joseph Aloysias âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­

I have created multiple approval workflows and wanted to update the current status in the Status column using a formula,

Tags:

Answers

• Nick Korna
    Nick Korna âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­

Hi @Joseph Aloysias,

You can do this with a nested IF statement in the Status column:

=IF([PRE-RBM/BM Approval]@row = "Submitted", "Waiting for RBM/BM Approval", IF([PRE-Sales Head Approval]@row = "Submitted", "Waiting for Sales Head Approval", IF([Pre-Marketing Head Approval]@row = "Submitted", "Waiting for Marketing Head Approval", IF([Pre-Finance Accounts Approval]@row = "Submitted", "Waiting for Finance Accounts Approval", "All Approved"))))

Which would give results like this:

I have assumed that this is a sequential approval system or you only want to know what the "earliest" (going left to right) waiting for approval being submitted is.

If I've misunderstood something or you've any problems/questions, then just post! 🙂

• Joseph Aloysias

Thank you for your support @Nick Korna. Yes its a sequential approval system where I want to track the Submitted, Approved, Rejected all these statuses based on the approver.

• Nick Korna

For the rejected, is it just a case of adding in a "Rejected by (relevant department here)" message?

• Joseph Aloysias

Yes, "Rejected by (relevant department here)" message.

• Joseph Aloysias

@Nick Korna Do you have any updates on the formula for the "Rejected" status? Currently, it displays as "Approved" when the next-level approver declines the request.

• Nick Korna

It's not a problem to do - do you want the Status just to be rejected, or to specify by who?

• Joseph Aloysias

@Nick Korna , Thank you your response. I would like to display information about who rejected the request, like "Rejected by sales Head/Marketing Head/Etc..."

• Nick Korna
    edited 01/18/24

For the former, you can do it with a simple COUNTIF addition:

=IF(COUNTIF([PRE-RBM/BM Approval]@row:[Pre-Finance Accounts Approval]@row, "Rejected") >= 1, "Rejected", IF([PRE-RBM/BM Approval]@row = "Submitted", "Waiting for RBM/BM Approval", IF([PRE-Sales Head Approval]@row = "Submitted", "Waiting for Sales Head Approval", IF([Pre-Marketing Head Approval]@row = "Submitted", "Waiting for Marketing Head Approval", IF([Pre-Finance Accounts Approval]@row = "Submitted", "Waiting for Finance Accounts Approval", "All Approved")))))

For specific rejections:

=IF([PRE-RBM/BM Approval]@row = "Submitted", "Waiting for RBM/BM Approval", IF([PRE-Sales Head Approval]@row = "Submitted", "Waiting for Sales Head Approval", IF([Pre-Marketing Head Approval]@row = "Submitted", "Waiting for Marketing Head Approval", IF([Pre-Finance Accounts Approval]@row = "Submitted", "Waiting for Finance Accounts Approval", IF([PRE-RBM/BM Approval]@row = "Rejected", "Rejected by RBM/BM", IF([PRE-Sales Head Approval]@row = "Rejected", "Rejected by Sales Head", IF([Pre-Marketing Head Approval]@row = "Rejected", "Rejected by Marketing Head", IF([Pre-Finance Accounts Approval]@row = "Rejected", "Rejected by Finance Accounts", IF(COUNTIF([PRE-RBM/BM Approval]@row:[Pre-Finance Accounts Approval]@row, "Approved") = 4, "All Approved", "")))))))))

This will also only show "All approved" if everyone has, rather than by default (if there are no submissions then it will be blank).

• Joseph Aloysias
    edited 01/18/24

Thanks, It shows null for the below approval status, is there a way to fix this? this is a sequential approval workflow,

• Joseph Aloysias

@Nick Korna @Paul Newcome I'm looking to track multi-level approval status in a separate column using a formula, can you please help me with the formula

• Nick Korna

Hi @Joseph Aloysias - this is my bad as I misremembered what the word used is!

Replace all the "Rejected" in the formula with "Declined" and you should be good to go.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!