Counting 3 out of 4 values in multi-select column

Hello,

I was curious if there is a way to count for 3 out 4 values in a multi-select column using a single formula. For example, there are four values in multi-select: Not started, in progress, blocked, and complete. I want to count if one vendor has any of those values except complete. I am trying to use a formula like this but comes back unparseable.

=COUNTIFS({Work Order Request Tracker Range 1}, CONTAINS("Service Pro", @cell), {Work Order Request Tracker Range 2}, CONTAINS(OR("Not started", @cell),("In progress", @cell),("Blocked", @cell)))

I know I could use a formula like the one below for each value and then calculate the sum of cells, but was curious if there is a more efficient formula. Thanks!

=COUNTIFS({Work Order Request Tracker Range 1}, CONTAINS("Tek Express", @cell), {Work Order Request Tracker Range 2}, CONTAINS("In progress", @cell))

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

If there will only ever be one option selected, you don't need the CONTAINS functions. Instead though, it is more efficient to count for not "Complete", and that would look like this:

=COUNTIFS({Range}, @cell <> "Complete")

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!