Help with Join Collect formula

gwson
gwson ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 01/22/24 in Formulas and Functions

I have a long list of subcompetencies, that are mapped to course objectives across courses.

What I would like like a formula that displays subcompetencies where objectives are equal to "NA", but if the subcompetency is already mapped in a different course to a course objective, then do not display. In other words, i need a way to find which competencies have not been mapped at all across all courses.

In screenshot below, 1.2a is a gap in 3118, but is mapped in 3119 and 3120, so we're good, and i do not wish to display it. I tried using a helper column as you see and referencing that but i still get 1.2a to show for some reason.

=JOIN(DISTINCT(COLLECT({subcomp}, {gap}, "GAP", {gap}, <>"Mapped")))

@Paul Newcome

Tags:

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

My suggestion would be a flag type column (on the source sheet) with a formula to flag if it has not been mapped anywhere.

=IF(COUNTIFS(Subcompetency:Subcompetency, @cell = Subcompetency@row, Gap:Gap, @cell = "Mapped") = 0, 1)

Then on the consolidation sheet you would use the JOIN/DISTINCT/COLLECT combo, but the only range (other than the one to join) would be this new flag column and the criteria would be that it is flagged.

You could also create a report based on this column being flagged if you just wanted a list of those that aren't mapped at all.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

My suggestion would be a flag type column (on the source sheet) with a formula to flag if it has not been mapped anywhere.

=IF(COUNTIFS(Subcompetency:Subcompetency, @cell = Subcompetency@row, Gap:Gap, @cell = "Mapped") = 0, 1)

Then on the consolidation sheet you would use the JOIN/DISTINCT/COLLECT combo, but the only range (other than the one to join) would be this new flag column and the criteria would be that it is flagged.

You could also create a report based on this column being flagged if you just wanted a list of those that aren't mapped at all.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• gwson
    gwson ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, that did the trick! You're the best, thank you as always!

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help. 👍️

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!