Smartsheet Form provide customized number

Rabia
Rabia ✭✭✭✭

I've created a form, and I would like it such that once the form is filled out and submitted, a number is assigned to the request. This number would be pulled from the data sheet tied to the form and would be sequential and assign the next number. Is this possible? If so, how do I go about doing this??

Answers

• Razetto
    Razetto ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Rabia Hi, if I understand you, add an auto-number column to your sheet where the form input is recorded. More on this below.

• Stacey C
    Stacey C ✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/25/24

I use a similar feature to create sequential purchase order (PO) numbers.

I start by creating a field for an auto number - see screen shot. Because this database is specific to our uniform orders, I have used a prefix "U" to differentiate and chose a 5-digit auto number format. My starting number had been "1" but since I have 211 entries in my database, the starting number you see in the screenshot is just showing my next number, U00212. It you wanted to start numbering at 100 or something other than 1, you could differentiate that here.

The auto number field will take care of your sequential needs, but if I understand correctly and you want to marry this to other data entered into the form, you can create another field titled "Form Number". I combine my uniform auto number U00212 with the 2-digit year in which the order was submitted (from a separate field titled 'Year'=YEAR([Date Submitted]@row) ) and preface that w/ the letters PO to populate my field named "PO#". I use this field value in my automated alerts for approvals, etc. I used the following formula for my needs, but the JOIN function may work here as well (unfortunately, no example for that...sorry)

="PO# " + RIGHT(Year@row,2) + Auto@row (I make this a column formula)

Result: PO# 24U00212

I hope this helps! @Stacey C