Identifying Duplicates within a column

Options

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong here?

=IF(COUNTIF([Name of Individual Impacted]@row:[Name of Individual Impacted]@row, [Name of Individual Impacted]@row1) > 1, 1)

I am trying to identify duplicate case names within my master sheet. Screenshot included below. I keep receiving the unparseable message. :(

Best Answer

• brianschmidt
    brianschmidt ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Looks like you've got a 1 where it doesn't need to be (after [Name of Individual Impacted]@row) and your column reference doesn't need to include "@row". Try this:

=IF(COUNTIF([Name of Individual Impacted]:[Name of Individual Impacted], [Name of Individual Impacted]@row) > 1, 1)

You may also consider added to your formula something that excludes rows in which the name is blank, such as the following formula:

=IF(ISBLANK([Name of Individual Impacted]@row), "", IF(COUNTIF([Name of Individual Impacted]:[Name of Individual Impacted], [Name of Individual Impacted]@row) > 1, 1))

Hope this helps!:)

Answers

• brianschmidt
    brianschmidt ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Looks like you've got a 1 where it doesn't need to be (after [Name of Individual Impacted]@row) and your column reference doesn't need to include "@row". Try this:

=IF(COUNTIF([Name of Individual Impacted]:[Name of Individual Impacted], [Name of Individual Impacted]@row) > 1, 1)

You may also consider added to your formula something that excludes rows in which the name is blank, such as the following formula:

=IF(ISBLANK([Name of Individual Impacted]@row), "", IF(COUNTIF([Name of Individual Impacted]:[Name of Individual Impacted], [Name of Individual Impacted]@row) > 1, 1))

Hope this helps!:)

• Canteaug
    Options

@brianschmidt That worked! Thank you so much!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!