Counting single values with multiple criteria

Options
Keith Turk
Keith Turk ✭✭
edited 02/07/24 in Formulas and Functions

I need a little help with a formula in Smartsheet, I am trying to count the number of employees who are over utilised (> 105) but some employees have multiple entries (same utilisation, so only need 1 entry in the count). Answer below should be 3

Best Answer

• Antonie B
    Antonie B ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Keith Turk -

Have you tried incorporating the formula function Distinct (https://help.smartsheet.com/function/distinct)?

It will only look for unique values.

I think in your case, you may want to opt for a Count/Distinct/Collect formula. This will count the unique values based on your parameters, in this case, the utilization being over 105.

Based on your screenshot try this: =COUNT(DISTINCT(COLLECT(Name:Name, Utilisation:Utilisation, >105)))

Name:Name would be the column housing the names and Utilisation:Utilisation would be the column housing the numbers.

I hope this helps?

Answers

• Antonie B
    Antonie B ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Keith Turk -

Have you tried incorporating the formula function Distinct (https://help.smartsheet.com/function/distinct)?

It will only look for unique values.

I think in your case, you may want to opt for a Count/Distinct/Collect formula. This will count the unique values based on your parameters, in this case, the utilization being over 105.

Based on your screenshot try this: =COUNT(DISTINCT(COLLECT(Name:Name, Utilisation:Utilisation, >105)))

Name:Name would be the column housing the names and Utilisation:Utilisation would be the column housing the numbers.

I hope this helps?

• Keith Turk
    Options

Perfect, thanks Antonie, the DISTINCT function is new to me. The learning never stops. :)

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!