How can I combine rows?

I have 1 sheet with 3 forms. As the project goes along, 1 individual will complete each of the 3 forms. This will generate 3 separate rows on the sheet. I want to combine the data from all 3 rows into 1 row. Can this be done?

Answers

• Ric T
    Ric T ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Stacy Weber, I'd recommend using the Update Request automation. One suggestion is to retain one form, and automate the other two forms into update requests. As the individual completes it, an update request can be sent to them (you can customise time and trigger), with the relevant columns you need them to view and edit. This way all your information stays within the same row.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Stacy Weber

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Ric's excellent advice/answer.

• Another option depending on if the form + update request would work and you don't need the form features for the whole process.
    • Using three different sheets, either have the form move the rows to a specific sheet or have a form per sheet, and then, using cross-sheet formulas and a unique ID, collect it back together in the main sheet.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thank you for the responses. I don't think the Update Request will work for us so I'd like to understand more about the separate sheets. Can I still have all 3 forms on 1 sheet and then use a formula to pull the data with a unique identifier to 1 row on a different sheet? If so, 1) what formula would this be? 2) can the supporting sheet and rollover sheet be saved together as a template?

• Hello - following up on my comment. Can you please assist in how to combine data from multiple rows into 1 row? Would the Join/Collect formula work? If so, could you provide assistance in how to use it?

• Hi @Stacy Weber

I believe @Andrée Starå is referring to having 3 completely separate forms, one on each sheet, and each sheet has unique column names.

The submissions would need to have something unique so that a formula can identify what rows should be combined. So, if you want to see all of Genevieve's form submissions from 1st of March, that could be something unique (as long as I only filled in the 3 forms on that day). Or the user would need to select a unique value and duplicate that in each form (SubmissionXYZ three times).

An alternative is to use a Report looking at your current sheet to Group by something unique for those 3 rows, keeping them together. Depending on what data you want to see on one row, you could either use Summaries to consolidate data, or expand the Grouping to see the 3 rows below (on separate rows).

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• ShaRobinson
    ShaRobinson ✭✭✭

Hi @Stacy Weber,

I'm curious how you ended up solving this (combine three rows of data into one row).

I have the same need (different users submit forms, resulting in different rows of data on the sheet), and from that one row I need to then generate a document (fillable PDF). I'm ready with the PDF part, just need to solve the data merge! I figured it would be a very simple thing to do — combine the data into one row..

Thanks!

Sharon

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!