Limiting viewing rights for reports

Hi

I often use smartsheet to develop proposals and our programs for internal workings which includes confidential information such as budgets. The report function is great that I can share focused information with the client in a real time environment, however some of this information as suggested above I do not want them to have access to. By creating a report, I have to provide access to the smartsheet. Is there a way of allowing this outcome to work - perhaps have an additional permission that says cant view?

Answers

• Ryan Kramer
    Ryan Kramer ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi!

I understand your concern about sharing sensitive information through Smartsheet reports. Luckily, there is a solution for this situation. You can create an additional permission that restricts the client from viewing certain information. Here's how you can do it:

Start by creating a separate sheet or workspace where you will store the sensitive information that you don't want the clients to see.

Next, go to the sharing settings of that sheet or workspace and adjust the permissions accordingly. You can specify that the clients should have limited access, such as "can't view" or "view only" for the sensitive information.

Now, when you create a report in Smartsheet, you can include the relevant data from both the sensitive sheet and any other sheets you want to share with the clients. However, since the clients have limited access permissions on the sensitive sheet, they won't be able to see that specific information in the report.

By following these steps, you can create a report that includes the necessary information for the clients while ensuring that the sensitive data remains secure.

Best regards,

Ryan Kramer

Have you backed up your solution lately? https://www.smartsheetbackups.com/

• Thanks for this - however I have never seen the limited access 'can't see.' How do you access this option ?

thanks

• Courtney S.
    Courtney S. ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know if this will help, but you can Publish a report so that people with that link get a view-only version of the report without access to the underlying sheet. Publish a sheet, report, or dashboard | Smartsheet Learning Center

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @BrentO

I hope you're well and safe!

There isn't a can't view option.

I think Ryan used Chatgpt or something similar to help with the answer, so that's why it's wrong.

There are a couple of options.

• Publish the report
    • Premium app, Dynamic View
    • Premium App, WorkApps
    • I recently developed a (what I call) Dynamic View Light. It's quite advanced, but in short, it uses cross-sheet formulas, INDEX/MATCH, and a specific structure and method, so it can only show data that should be available.

Would any of those options work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Courtney S

Like the idea however it will not share with someone outside the organisation - which defeats the purpose really

• Andree

what are these additional APPs you mention ? and how and where does one get them ? - especially the one you developed lol